What would you have done differently?

kdeckels

I'm really glad I found this site.  The information found here has helped me put my ideas on a faster track than I could otherwise.

I notice there's many experienced members here & if you could sum up a few points to what you would have done differently starting out again, what would that be?  Some ideas might be:

1.  Too much/little variety.  I thinking of limiting the variety to things I've picked up here what works in different locations.

2.  Quality of Machine.  I know with everything there has to be a happy medium, I'm not planning on starting with top of the line, but neither something that will give me many headaches & servicing requirements.

3.  Locater - Yea/nay.  At 1st I thought of using one, but right now startiing out with 2-4 machines, I think I'll try it myself initially.  If the business is profitable & grows; & I enjoy it, a locater may be beneficial.

4.  Charity/Commision.  I can see points both ways, but I think I would have better luck pushing the charity since the commission may be more of a hassle for the business than it's worth.

I know there's many things I've left out, but I'm just trying to pull from the combined experience of the forum.  I know in many industry's advice like this is highly sought & can't be found without some $$$$$$ attached.

Thanks - Kenton

Kenton,

Thank you for the kind words about our community. They mean a lot to me.

As for what I would have done different? Well I'm sure I will re-visit this post after I think about it more but the very first thing that came to my mind after reading your title, ala Rorschach, was how I wish that I had built my fleet around 1 or 2 machine manufacturers. Unfortunately, when I started there was no forum such as this and I learned by trial and error. Only now am I beginning to realize the many benefits of running only 1 brand of machine.  

Steve 

I'm still wet behind the ears, but here it goes:

1)  As for variety, I keep it limited to about 5 different candies, plus gumballs.  If the location wants a choice for candy, I let them choose from what I have, it makes things easier.

2)  I read a lot before I purchased my 2 XYZs.  For some reason, triples seem to be pretty cheap to get used, and the XYZ are holding up well so far (knock on wood).  I think that keeping your machines to a specific brand makes things easier as well.

3)  Locators are great, but quite simply, I'm cheap.  I like to get more personal with my locations anyways.  I think locating myself lets me do this.  I also find if fun (but believe me, its frustrating as well).  I may also use a locator if I start to expand quickly.

4)  I love doing charity!  It really makes your company sound great when you're giving back to something.  As I've said before, if you deal with a local charity, it makes it easier to get locations.  Especially when dealing with local businesses.

**One thing that I see overwhelmingly in this business is that people bite off more than they can chew.  Start off slow, because it will be slow to start.  I buy all my machines used, and every time, the person  seems to have a story like this:  "I bought the machines, but now just don't have the time or money for them." People buy a bunch of machines thinking it's as easy as buy-put-make $$$.  But as we all know, it's not that simple.  So my advice is start with a couple of used machines, locate them yourself, and see if it's what you like.***

I have only been doing this a short time, and the only thing I would change is to start on my own sooner so far. 

As far as locator services, I personally love having machines located for me.  It costs alot of money, but it saves alot of time.

Nick

My thinking behind the charity is I try to put myself in their shoes.

If someone were to walk into the bank & ask to put a machine in the lobby & tell us we possibly get 10-15% commission on $25 (maybe), it wouldn't be worth it.  But if it was pitched as a service for customers & employees with a donation to a charity, I would be more apt to accept.