How do you dismantle a spiral (whirlwind)

lurtsman

I think this is a whirlwind machine. Is there any way to remove the center rod, and is it really that long? I got the globe off am trying to get it into two parts since it will be much cheaper to ship that way--but I can't figure out how to disassemble the center rod. Any advice? I started putting together a video on how to do it to help the buyer reassemble it, but this one piece has me stumped. Also, be careful of working around damaged fiberglass. I got a few tiny splinters and several paper cuts. I recommend long sleeves and gloves. It might even be reasonable to put tape over the opening. (The back of this machine was damaged by crackheads)

Thank you for any advice.

I doubt you can disassemble the spiral assembly. You can remove the top assembly (globe, mechanism) the spiral, and then the base in full-size units, but I'm not sure about this one. Is it a full-sized 5'+ spiral, or something smaller. Its my understanding that the smaller spirals are harder to dismantle. I don't know firsthand, as I only have one full-size unit.

Well, hard to say. The outer plastic cover that goes over the spiral assembly can usually be removed, but I doubt that the central rod can be broken down any further. However, I think there's a box that would work pretty well to ship it as is- remove the globe and the base, then slide the spiral into a 54" Home Decor Fabric roll container. They're the long boxes that those BIG rolls of fabric come to the stores in. Where I work retail we handle about 20 of these per week, and again, we just break them down to be recycled. You could fit the whole spiral assembly in one of these boxes easily.

Otherwise, I don't know of a better solution for you. Sorry Lurts...

Performa, this home decor fabric idea sounds interesting.

I just contacted one of my local stores and they will hold the rolls and call me when they have a few saved up.

How big around is this thing? I really haven't a clue what they look like..... Spiral is 58 inches (just measured it). This should be close enough, I can just use cardboard to extend the top. Are they sturdy? If I can fit the things inside it, could I just leave the spiral in one piece?

PS. Any suggestions with this about how to pack around the globe to ensure things won't be damaged in transit?

The BOXES are built to be tossed around quite a bit- normal box-cutters won't get through them if that's your concern. The corners usually get pounded pretty good in transit, but that's the corporate freight carrier, and they know what's in the boxes- so that may be a factor. The link shows similar boxes to what we use, except ours are heavier duty. They also have the extension caps (which slide over the end) for our oddball sizes. We have two rolls in stock of 60 inch vinyl. This is prime time to get them too- my store starts getting the "Fall" decor in within the next few weeks. The same store might pull through for the globes as well. Ask about containers for batting. Mention foam and fiber, or Pellon Brand containers. These are BIG square boxes that rolls of batting arrive in. This are about 36 inches in diameter and 24 inches tall. Some of the bigger "shipper" boxes hold two of these. Where I work, we get one of these each month. The bigger "shipper" boxes have heavy-duty plastic corners on them to keep the batting from getting wrecked. Same heavy duty sides. Depending on the size of the globe, you could (possibly) fit the whole top assembly in one of these. Again, we just break these boxes down at the end of the week, and if you ask I'd wager they'd give them to you. Good luck moving that Spiral Lurts!

1. Oh, the rolls also come in larger sizes. These also come in boxes, but I wasn't in the day we got our "BIG" roll. HERE's a picture of what one of those rolls looks like. Now, that box can fit a LOT of stuff- or make a great play fort for some kids.

That's the plan. I'm grey hound shipping. Is that roll going to fit?

What are your package weight and size restrictions?

The maximum weight per package is 100 pounds. The extreme measurements of length, width, and height shall not exceed 30" x 47" x 82".

My spiral is 58x24x24. The base is the fattest part.

Archived