Anyone have some advice...?

I hope this finds you all well.  I just had a quick question or I suppose you could call it a plea for advice.

I work in an Industry that's not full time.  I do roughly 150-160 days a year, and have the rest of the time to myself.  Often times I have 3-4 days of work, then a week or two off. 

I was looking to start up a vending route, part time here in my area of town.  I live in an area of Toronto that is "Industrial/Live/Work/Condos" There's 372 Companies that all do business within a 10 block radius of my Loft/Studio/Apartment.

In the two years I've lived in this area, I've never once seen a vending delivery vehicle servicing a location, but I assume it does happen. THere's a large building down at the end of my street that's 8 stories high, and has about 20-30 offices per floor.  They have vending machines in their lobby area, but I've never had a chance to see who services them.

I was curious how others feel it would be best to approach trying to get clients in my direct area?  Flyers? Pamphlets?  Door knocking? Cold calling?  I don't want to go with a locating service, I want to do it on my own.

First you need a script, something that tells them why you're going to make their life better in a concise manner, then you need to have answers to common objections mapped out in your brain. Then know that you're going to get many nos before you get a yes. Once you're mentally prepared go out and start finding decision makers, the manager or owner who has authority to allow you to place your machines and make your pitch. Sooner or later you will get a yes.

Build up to 10 posts here and then go into the Member Plus section, There is a ton of good information in there.  Tom

Just a reminder. Since April 8th you have to have 20 quality posts to have access to Members Plus sections. It 's amazing how fast that can happen once you start looking around.

RetroVend. It sounds like you have the right type of area for vending. Maybe you should investigate the places around you to see who is servicing them and if they are getting good service. If your area is locked up by a company that they are getting great service from, than you may have to go outside your immediate area to find accounts. If they are not happy with the service they are getting, you have an opportunity to move right in. Check out the products being sold and the prices. Check the machines to see if there is a companies name on them. Try to talk to the employees in the offices to see if they would like to have different products than what they are getting now. Once you have that data, you will have an easier time deciding what type of vending you want to pursue. It could be bulk or maybe full-line or maybe a little of both.

That will get you started in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Thanks for all the input folks.

I might just take a walk around my neighbourhood today. This weeks a slow period in film it seems, only have one day of work on thursday...so might spend the rest of the week doing more research.

Retro,

There is a very nice "Vending Services Proposal" located in the tools section of member PLUS. Once you achieve PLUS status, check it out. You can edit it to your liking. Use that along with the example cover letter in a nice presentation folder with your business card. It will help you portray a professional image.

Good luck!

Steve