"freshness date" on machines

sweetvends

Hi all:

I've been an avid reader of this forum for a while now and finally got to the bottom of the posts. (I like to try and read everything first before making a post)

well first let me say that I am kind of a new vendor, I have been operating bulk machines since december of 2006. I currently have 16 machines out at locations.

I have only single and double machines. After reading some of the posts here im glad that i did not go with triples.

I was wondering if anyone has tried using "freshness date" stickers on their machines? Before i got into vending, i would have never purchased, let alone eat, anything from a bulk vending machine simply because i had no idea how long it was sitting there. Now that i am in the biz i was thinking of a way to combat that problem to try to increase sales from those who would ordinarly not purchase.

my idea is to have a small card or something that I can write when the product was placed in the machine. kind of like the fresh date on milk or chips.

do you think that would have any effect on sales or just a waste of time. i know i probably wouldve purchased from a bulk machine if i knew how old the product was.

just a thought, all responses welcome

sweetvends

I am not sure that kids care much about that stuff but it may sway some adults. Maybe a sticker that shows a serviced on date might help. This may be more of a problem than a benefit if you are running gumballs on a two month cycle though. Just my thoughts.

i see your point. i was an adult when i thought about that (still am as a matter of fact) so i can see where it may be in vain if im marketing to kids.

thanks for your input.

btw, how many machines do you have? i think it would be neat if we all put our "stats" in our signature. ive seen message boards where people put pertinent info relating to the board subject matter in their sigs. im going to add mine as soon as i find out where to do it. been reading so much i havent played with the settings yet.

sweetvends

I have zero machines out so take everything I say with a grain of salt. I wasn't trashing your idea though I think it is worth a test run to see if increases sales in a slow location that caters to mostly adults. I agree with pusherman though when he said "how fresh is fresh?". I guarantee if you ask my wife and I that question you will get two different answers. You will never be able to please everyone and by putting a date on your product you will encourage some and discourage others who might have given the benefit of the doubt. I think that ultimately the best advertisement for freshness is a clean machine with bright, unfaded product. This is an opinion given as a consumer not as an expert but its a free opinion and worth every penny.:D

This topic was suggested on Vendingtalk at one time but I've forgoten if annyone actually tried it and posted their results. If you decide to try it a "Best Before" might be best.

One problem I can think of is, that unless you dump all your old product faithfully you always get a few rogue pieces that are hard as a rock. If you have a best before and someone gets one of these "stones" do you end up getting more refund reqests? And is that bad?

Sorry, more questions than answers.

Ted

This topic was suggested on Vendingtalk at one time but I've forgoten if annyone actually tried it and posted their results.

Ahh, an old VT brethren! I thought I recognized that question before as well. A big welcome to you Ted if I haven't already extended one. Its good to see some old VT guys here.

Steve 

I too thought about a freshness sticker on the machines however have not decided how often product needs replaced somethings like gumballs should last longer than say cashews right?

p.s. thanks for the idea of adding to pur signature neat idea

• 1 month later...

are you actively looking for new locations? Or are you satisfied with 16 machines? How long does it take you to place a machine? I know this is off topic but I am trying to start and I have been reading the post around here and am trying to figure out how long it will take me to have 50 machines. Also much are you profiting a month off of your 16 machines?

To be quite frank, I think that putting freshness stickers on your machines may be a mistake.  I can see where people may not purchase because of it.  People are different, but I would guess that after a month, they would begin to think that it is too old.  However I service my machines about every 6-8 weeks, and longer on slower locations.  I can expect to see my sales drop off after the first 4 weeks, if they know how long ago it was that I serviced the machines.

Also, i figure it takes about 3-6 months to go through the entire product in a Vista 300 if it were full of gumballs.  So if I service every 2 months, the stuff on the bottom would still be 4-6 months old.  Customers might figure that out too. 

Not only that, you don't really know how fresh your product is when you get it.  I have purchased some Double Bubble gumballs from Sams, and when I opened it that same day, it looked like it was old and splotchy.

I figure it's best to keep the mystery alive.  Let them think that it's as fresh as they want, and if they think it's old, it's prolly even older than they think.  Either way, there's no reason to disabuse them of their beliefs.