Behold the High Tech Future of Vending Machines

Crazy, crazy, crazy, crazy! Pay with the wave a smartphone. Let me ask, what value is there in money that is all electronic? Gold has value, its tangible and rare, what value do numbers on a computer have?

Those machines are going to spell the end of repair techs like me and my guys. You are going to have to have a PHD in electronics AND computer programming and software design just to be able to have a chance to work on those machines.

And operators, you won't have a CHANCE to fix those things on your own. If people can't figure out a single price motor, who is going to figure out those walking NASA merchandisers?!!!

LOL

Technology is good I guess, I'll have to find another job though!

Those Diji-Tech machines are apparently still far away though. Samsung makes the screens for those and according to the national rep for Samsung, they have completely left the US market and will not make them because of the difficulty with programming them.

• 3 weeks later...

Crazy, crazy, crazy, crazy! Pay with the wave a smartphone. Let me ask, what value is there in money that is all electronic? Gold has value, its tangible and rare, what value do numbers on a computer have?

Those machines are going to spell the end of repair techs like me and my guys. You are going to have to have a PHD in electronics AND computer programming and software design just to be able to have a chance to work on those machines.

And operators, you won't have a CHANCE to fix those things on your own. If people can't figure out a single price motor, who is going to figure out those walking NASA merchandisers?!!!

LOL

Technology is good I guess, I'll have to find another job though!

Have faith H4VU, its not really as complicated as it sounds. The core of a vending machine is still going to be the same, wires that route boards together and to other mechanical parts. The biggest change will be in the pcb boards themselves, but operators are still going to do board replacements/outside board repairs instead of repairing the boards themselves. And to help repair centers, testing tools/equipment should improve as well.

A good reference is the auto industry. Look at how far cars have come. And yet how many auto mechanics do you know have computer science degrees.

Archived