Charity and commission

eboniesmith

Do you pay out and donate from your gross or net income?  

1. 1. Do you pay out and donate from your gross or net income?

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse.  I've decided to offer my charity approach unless a business asks for commission. 

Do you offer charity, commission, or both?  Under what circumstances?

What are your percentages for both?  Why?  From my research, I've seen charity to be about 5% and commission up to 20%. 

Do you pay out and donate from your gross or net income?  Why?

Ebonie,  I always start w/ charity and do not go to commission unless they ask, and that's the only way I can get in.  I stick with 15% no matter what.  Why?  It keeps it simple, and lets me get a good ROI while still giving myself the satisfaction of giving a reasonable amount to charity (I need to sleep at night.)  The 15% is from my gross income.

That's a good point .... even though a charity may be entitled to $1.50 per machine .... there is nothing stopping any vendor from giving MORE, which is a nice idea! 

Lee

The amount required to be paid to the charity is a royalty fee which is an 100% deductible business expense. Anything over that amount is a donation which is only deductible when you start making a profit.

Ebonie,  I always start w/ charity and do not go to commission unless they ask, and that's the only way I can get in.  I stick with 15% no matter what.  Why?  It keeps it simple, and lets me get a good ROI while still giving myself the satisfaction of giving a reasonable amount to charity (I need to sleep at night.)  The 15% is from my gross income.

You know G-man, you struck a chord in me with what you do.  I may look at changing how I do the charity thing.  I will feel better about it if I do. ( I think ).  I pay $1.00 per sticker currently.  If I supplemented that each month to make it a 15% donation based on monthly gross, I could comfortably say that to a perspective location or anyone for that matter.

I like that approach, too.

I am making a major push for my charity locations lately.  It seems that many locations don't care for $4 when I service a commission stop.  When I do give commission, I give 20% and I take it from the gross sales at the time I do the servicing.

I will be using a local school district as my charity and I will be donating 15% gross per location bulk and full line. My question to the seasoned pros is this,What would be the approach I should use to talk with these new districts? I would like to keep my charity as the school systems I work in as my wife is in the education industry and it is important to us.

Thanks,

Brian

Archived