My journey (weekly thread)

bill123

I've decided 2 post every Sunday with what I do and what I learn. Each day is too much.

I placed 6 boxes this week (1st week was 3 days).

One day door-to-door I placed 3 boxes. Over 2 days of calling I placed 3 more.

1. I'm told telemarketing does not work well and should just do door-to-door, but I still want to test it. I will do 1 week of telemarketing and I will let everyone know how it goes. My script was aweful when I started telemarketing so my results should be different now, hopefully. I at least have to test it.

2. I will do 1 week of factory areas door-to-door. Results will be posted.

3. I will do 1 week of strip malls. Results will be posted.

4. I am told I have no clue on my on my mix of product and it is "all wrong". I put together my data from The Food Institute’s Food Industry Review, RAB snack report, and SNAXPO SymphonyIRI group. After a month I will look at what is selling and adjust the mix. I feel that my mix is going to be off because there was no report dealing specifically with snack boxes, but it is not off enough to do significant harm.

5. My CoGS is 50cents which I am told is iddiotic. (40cents or less being what one should target). My mix is testing a strategy that assumes giving people what they want and perceive as a more reasonable value will produce more sales that will make up for the lost margin. I have gathered from the posts that a net profit of $30-$35 per location per month is about average. So, if I average less than this I will change the mix to cheaper snacks. If I make more, I was correct in my hypothesis. I will post the results as one person has expressed interest.

6. I have hypothisized that that theft will drop by 5% if I provide a higher value product, that there are people who pay what they think is "fair" such as 50 cents or 75 cents for crackers instead of $1. I expect this will have do effect on those who already steal. If 15% of the theft is from outright stealing as opposed to shorting and paying a "fair" price my higher CoGS results in 1.5% more losses (15% x 10 cent difference in CoGS.) I also beleive a better value will help a tiny bit with retaining customers.

7. Talking about CoGS any more is a waste of time. I need actual results to evaluate, so I won't have a discusson about it until Dec 1 when I post my results.

8. I will have standard boxes and then add product which is selling at a specific location. It is simply too time consuming to make specific boxes for every location.

I'll see everyone next Sunday.

If anyone has advise I'd like to hear it, but things like you are all wrong or an idiot without explanation of the reasons and experiences and data are not useful. I hope to contribute data to the forum and I appreciate any information I get.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bill123 where are you?

2 Sundays have come and gone and nothing.

Not even a log-in since the day you started this thread....what a shame.

I was looking forward to reading about this journey.

Looks like he's waitintg until Dec. 1 to give us an update according to his last know post.

I've decided 2 post every Sunday with what I do and what I learn. Each day is too much.

I placed 6 boxes this week (1st week was 3 days).

One day door-to-door I placed 3 boxes. Over 2 days of calling I placed 3 more.

1. I'm told telemarketing does not work well and should just do door-to-door, but I still want to test it. I will do 1 week of telemarketing and I will let everyone know how it goes. My script was aweful when I started telemarketing so my results should be different now, hopefully. I at least have to test it.

2. I will do 1 week of factory areas door-to-door. Results will be posted.

3. I will do 1 week of strip malls. Results will be posted.

4. I am told I have no clue on my on my mix of product and it is "all wrong". I put together my data from The Food Institute’s Food Industry Review, RAB snack report, and SNAXPO SymphonyIRI group. After a month I will look at what is selling and adjust the mix. I feel that my mix is going to be off because there was no report dealing specifically with snack boxes, but it is not off enough to do significant harm.

5. My CoGS is 50cents which I am told is iddiotic. (40cents or less being what one should target). My mix is testing a strategy that assumes giving people what they want and perceive as a more reasonable value will produce more sales that will make up for the lost margin. I have gathered from the posts that a net profit of $30-$35 per location per month is about average. So, if I average less than this I will change the mix to cheaper snacks. If I make more, I was correct in my hypothesis. I will post the results as one person has expressed interest.

6. I have hypothisized that that theft will drop by 5% if I provide a higher value product, that there are people who pay what they think is "fair" such as 50 cents or 75 cents for crackers instead of $1. I expect this will have do effect on those who already steal. If 15% of the theft is from outright stealing as opposed to shorting and paying a "fair" price my higher CoGS results in 1.5% more losses (15% x 10 cent difference in CoGS.) I also beleive a better value will help a tiny bit with retaining customers.

7. Talking about CoGS any more is a waste of time. I need actual results to evaluate, so I won't have a discusson about it until Dec 1 when I post my results.

8. I will have standard boxes and then add product which is selling at a specific location. It is simply too time consuming to make specific boxes for every location.

I'll see everyone next Sunday.

If anyone has advise I'd like to hear it, but things like you are all wrong or an idiot without explanation of the reasons and experiences and data are not useful. I hope to contribute data to the forum and I appreciate any information I get.

In point #7 it says he won't talk about cogs until he has a full month of results. I was thinking he also meant that he would not return until then with further comments.

I think he was only referring to cog's -- I believe his intent was to post about his progress every Sunday and just post COG data monthly.

But, hopefully, you are right and I just misunderstood.

I was really looking forward to reading about his journey.

Archived