Turning off the grinder in a Seaco SG 200

Mike32110

Hello, I am considering placing a coarse grind or fine grind coffee into an sg 200, when it says to only use whole beans. THere is an adjustment on there for grinding coarseness, so I was wondering if anyone has ever tried not using whole beans before, and what the result was. Thanks guys!

Hello, I am considering placing a coarse grind or fine grind coffee into an sg 200, when it says to only use whole beans. THere is an adjustment on there for grinding coarseness, so I was wondering if anyone has ever tried not using whole beans before, and what the result was. Thanks guys!

Why did you want to use ground bean instead of whole beans? Do you think that the grinder on the machine is not grinding fine enough when you turn the adjustment knob? I have only ever used ground beans on machines that have the option of doing both. This is where the ground beans get poured into a separate compartment & by-pass the grinder & go directly into the brewer.

You could try it but I have never heard of anyone doing it before. I don't think it would damage the grinder but you would need to clean it out with a vacuum if the coffee gets stuck.

The Seaco SG200 Barista Supremo is a expensive investment, even more so if you bought it through the expensive and way overpriced biz-op program offered by canmax, so unless it is designed for ground coffee why take the chance of causing problems with it?

Why did you want to use ground bean instead of whole beans? Do you think that the grinder on the machine is not grinding fine enough when you turn the adjustment knob? I have only ever used ground beans on machines that have the option of doing both. This is where the ground beans get poured into a separate compartment & by-pass the grinder & go directly into the brewer.

You could try it but I have never heard of anyone doing it before. I don't think it would damage the grinder but you would need to clean it out with a vacuum if the coffee gets stuck.

No, it has nothing to do with that at all. The thing is, here in canada there is this coffee brand that everyone (for some reason) is obsessed with and there has been a lot of requests to get that coffee in my machine. Anyone who is Canadian know's exactly what I am talking about. They only offer coarse grind and fine grind coffee, and the coarse grind is only available in a smaller container which costs more. So I figured try using the coarse grind and putting the grinding at the lowest level, so it would just grind it enough to make it a fine grind.

My plan was to play with the machine and if the grinder knob makes a noticeable difference, then I was planning on just trying it at the lowest setting to see if it would work. I am kind of on the fence still about if it is a good idea, seems safer just to use whole beans of another brand.

My plan was to play with the machine and if the grinder knob makes a noticeable difference, then I was planning on just trying it at the lowest setting to see if it would work. I am kind of on the fence still about if it is a good idea, seems safer just to use whole beans of another brand.

Even if it does go thru the grinder without clogging it up you may run into other problems. For a start the Ground Coffee may funnel as there is no mixing wheel in the bean canister.

Your best option if you are wanting to use Ground Coffee is to use a Fresh Brew machine. We use the Brio 250 Fresh Brew machines to vend Fresh Leaf Tea but they can also be used for Coffee. Keep in mind that Ground Coffee goes stale alot faster than Fresh Bean so it will lose its flavor faster.

My advice would be to try a different blend of Coffee Beans if you are wanting to improve the quality of your coffee. Try to adjust your grind to get it to extract correctly. If you don't have the grind right you wont get a quality espresso no matter how good a quality bean you are using. I use a clear shot glass to test so that I can measure the shot & see the infusion of the espresso with crema.

Water temperature is another vital part of the process as if it is to water is too hot you will get a burnt bitter taste & if too cold you wont get the full flavor out of the coffee beans.

Archived