Hallenbeck Family Vending

davidsurvz

Gary,

It isn't one specific event. It is actually several events during the year. I would suspect that fairs and festivals are the best events. Around Charlotte there are several events that my wife sets up at. We just throw the vending machine on the table and count the quarters at the end of the day. If you know someone who sets up booths you might be able to set a machine at their booth. Since you are in So. Cal. I would recommend the Orange county fair and the L.A. county fair. I have been to both (not as a vendor just as an attendee) Just an example of how it might compare:

Someone I know set up a booth out here (NC) at a large event 2 years ago. the item they were selling brought in about $1,000.00 for the day. They spoke to someone on the phone who they were trained by on how to make this item who was working at the L.A. county fair and they brought in over $17,000.00 (just for one day of the fair.) It might be worth it to rent some table space in someones booth just to set up a gumball machine.....

Maybe....

Thanks David for all this information. Those numbers are amazing aren't they? You could make a living with vending machines at fairs.

We do have a few fairs that will be starting in the next couple of months near our home. We are involved with them so I am going to look in to placing a machine next to the booth for the day.

Thanks again for your help.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Hey David,

I finally have the opportunity to place a couple of vending machines at a huge fair that is this coming Sunday. There is a location that my wife will have, that I will have 2 machines. Also, my church has a location that I am going to ask them about. This is a huge fair that they have 2 times a year. It draws thousands of people. There will be a section of rides for the kids and from last year, I know that there are plenty of kids that come.

I am going to see how I do with your great idea. I just need to decide what I am putting in the machines and which ones I will bring. I may pull a few triples out of my slow stores and I also have two Beaver machines that I could use.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey Guys!

It's that time of year again. The events are starting back up. We won't be doing as many this year but the 4th of july event is our biggest one for vending at our booth. I'll let you know some numbers in a day or so.

David

I am a noob at this, but we run a booth at our local farmers market. It is each sat. for 4 hours. We make around 4 or 5 bucks for 2 heads each sat. average. We decided to do our big event here, called Border Days. It is 3 days of fun. Parades, rodeos, rides, food booths. It is the 4th of July thing. I set up a triple by our cash register. I sold one trail mix (changing to M&I today) and a bunch of the other for 5.50. That is 5.50 in one day on one machine! That was better than 2 weeks from my others.

Thinking outside the box, or making your box bigger is such a quarter maker.

We had rain one eve of the three days. People sure scattered. LOL Anyway, 3 day event brought 5:50, 7 and 7. I am very happy about that. Our food booth made a little over 2 grand. Much harder work though LOL

• 1 month later...

I serviced my rout today (6 week cycle) average of 14+ / location. The bad news is I am losing my best location. The mall food court. Bummer.

I had a very rough day with my route today 2 broken locks, another broken DI machine at the same location the other one got broken at (I suspect sabotage from my competitor) My other DI machine had to be removed from the mall. The cafe where I have my 1800 in the food court said the mall says I can't sell gumballs only candy and they put a new gumball kiosk about 10 feet away from where my machine will sit. I picked up a machine that I did get a replacement for from Kickstart but it was a good location.

Ok,

I pulled the dammaged DI machine and it is repairable. I do have 2 locks to replace the broken ones from a machine that isn't located yet, I didn't completely lose the mall location I pulled the 1800 and went with a single head Seaga (Skittles) my 2nd best seller there after gumballs. I also may have lined up a DI location for the one I pulled from the mall. So hopefully this will be a quick recovery.

David