Vendstar platic restore

PhilVends

I recently purchased a few used vendstar 3000s. As expected they had scratches, sticker residue and the like. I got all the scratches out and they look (almost) brand new.

I went to the automotive section of my local walmart and found Meguiar's PlastX. This products is usually used for headlights. I followed the directions and the scratches came out of the clear plastic like they were never there. Unfortunately, a few deep scratched did remain. All in all it worked great. On a few of the lenses I did not notice some clouding. I am not sure if that is from the polish or were there before.

Has anyone done something simular?

I use plastx on alot of my plastic parts... the clouding would have been there as plastx will not cause it... get a buffing wheel for the drill and some fine steel wool... the steel wool will take out deeper scratches but leave a mess of small scratch haze... the plastx on the buffer wheel will remove that and create a nice smooth finish... it will take some time and make sure you do it increments as if you make the plastic too hot it will melt and not buff... good luck.

You can do the same thing with sandpaper and compound on a buffer. A lot of these headlight and plastic compounds have oils and silicone that will mask the damage and make it look real shiny until they dry out then you have to re-apply.

I noticed some of the scratches coming back. I bought some rubbing compound just in case. It says not to be used on clear plastics. I will try it on a corner to test it first.

You can do the same thing with sandpaper and compound on a buffer. A lot of these headlight and plastic compounds have oils and silicone that will mask the damage and make it look real shiny until they dry out then you have to re-apply.

Archived