Bad day

Okay today was a horrible day for locating honor boxes. I got 11 no's and decided to call it a day. What have been the easiest places for you guys to get them into? And for those of you who also do bulk, do you find it's easier to place the bulk machines? That seems to be the case for me anyway. And the last thing I wanted to pick your guys' brains about is if you were trying to go into vending full time, would you do it by honor boxes or bulk vending?

Well you will always have a few bad days for every good day. But the one good day makes up for all the bad days.

I am just starting honor so not to sure on the best between the two.

Okay today was a horrible day for locating honor boxes. I got 11 no's and decided to call it a day. What have been the easiest places for you guys to get them into? And for those of you who also do bulk, do you find it's easier to place the bulk machines? That seems to be the case for me anyway. And the last thing I wanted to pick your guys' brains about is if you were trying to go into vending full time, would you do it by honor boxes or bulk vending?

It can get discouraging but let me offer some perspective. I have been told by a phone locator that they sometimes make 100 calls to get 1 yes. In a day they will call 300 and get 3-5 locations. In person you will do better. You may go out tomorrow and get 3 yesses in a row. The main thing is to keep going just like when you run and get a cramp but push through it.I dont do honor boxes but I would think it easier to place than bulk just because of size and it can sit on counter. As to bulk vs. honor boxes I think you could do both. There are some locations with no room or too many other bulk guys and In that case you could do honor box. If you find a location with no bulk put a machine in.

The start up cost for honor boxes is certainly less. However, you will have locations that are great for an honor box and vice versa. My answer would be if you want to go full time, I would get into both. You can't get discouraged after getting 11 No's. Keep in mind this is sales...maybe you need to modify your approach. You may want to dig a little deeper into those No's. Find out what their objection to your proposal is. You are already there having a conversation with them, don't be pushy but, don't just walk away on the fist No either! I teach my locators to get at least 3 No's from the owner/manager before they leave the store! Also, test the validity of their objection! Most likely it is an objection you can solve or overcome. If you think it would be a great location, maybe follow up 3 times in the next 2-3 months. Maybe they were just having a bad day or they may change their mind.

Objection: "We have no room..."

A) "Well Mr. Owner/Manager, what if we set it down right over here..."

(I hardly ever simply can't find a place for a triple)

Objection: "We don't want it..."

A) "Why is that? Do you think your employees would enjoy a little snack to get a little boost of moral - sugar rush energy, or probably not? Who knows maybe it will boost their productivity."

A) "What if we try it for 30 days, if at the end of that 30 days you decide you do not want it here, I will come by and pick it up. There is No contract and No obligation. Also, here is my card, if for any reason you want it gone, just give me a call..."

A) "What if I could give you a FREE $25 gift card to your favorite store, is that something you would be interested in or probably not...?"

The start up cost for honor boxes is certainly less. However, you will have locations that are great for an honor box and vice versa. My answer would be if you want to go full time, I would get into both. You can't get discouraged after getting 11 No's. Keep in mind this is sales...maybe you need to modify your approach. You may want to dig a little deeper into those No's. Find out what their objection to your proposal is. You are already there having a conversation with them, don't be pushy but, don't just walk away on the fist No either! I teach my locators to get at least 3 No's from the owner/manager before they leave the store! Also, test the validity of their objection! Most likely it is an objection you can solve or overcome. If you think it would be a great location, maybe follow up 3 times in the next 2-3 months. Maybe they were just having a bad day or they may change their mind.

A) "Why is that? Do you think your employees would enjoy a little snack to get a little boost of moral - sugar rush energy, or probably not? Who knows maybe it will boost their productivity."

A) "What if we try it for 30 days, if at the end of that 30 days you decide you do not want it here, I will come by and pick it up. There is No contract and No obligation. Also, here is my card, if for any reason you want it gone, just give me a call..."

A) "What if I could give you a FREE $25 gift card to your favorite store, is that something you would be interested in or probably not...?"

Thanks for the info. I appreciate your input. Let me ask you. Where are the best places to approach? I think that might have been part of the problem. I was turned by a couple of real estate offices and a couple of law firms, a computer repair shop. I am going to try what you were talking tomorrow as far as getting 3 no's before I leave. Also, how does the gift card thing work?

I like ANY small non franchise restaurant you can think of, or deli, thrift shop, small independent grocery stores, pizza places, taqueria, Pho Noodle Restaurants, hair, nail, beauty salons, LARGE auto repair shops if you really want to fast track because some of those do OK but, they are very easy to get into. Make sure they are busy though. Also I love employee break rooms; Save Mart, Vons, Foods Co, Gap, Old Navy, Barnes & Noble,... Check out 'My Vending' bulk income report for more examples...

Better (but more difficult) locations to grab are:

Nice tattoo shops in (halfway decent areas), laundromats, and arcades. Start off pitching and nailing down the smaller accounts! This will get you some practice and increase your closing ratio!

Simple, ask them what store they want the card and tell them you will drop it off next service. It is just used as a tool...or bribe to seal the deal and get the location. I would only do that on locations you REALLY know are going to be great.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived