Pulling Machines ?

DJI

Hi

Although I am very new to this business, I can already see some of the locations are going to be poor producers, i.e.: not high enough traffic, poor hours, etc.  I can see that certain locations will never produce enough to make it profitable.

So my question is: How  do you "Tactfully" tell the business owner that you are removing your machine?

Thanks for any insight into this

Dave

Any business owner should be able to understand why you would pull a machine not making any money. First I would speak with the owner and employees and see if a different product would sell better. Next before you pull any machine make sure you have a new location ready to move it to. I would rather make $5 than $0 in my basement collecting dust.

Hand write ( or type one and sign it) a proffesional thank you letter to hand to the person who let you place the machine.  The location may become proffitable in the future, and you may want to place another machine, so don't burn any bridges. 

You don't say if you have singles, doubles or triples. I would try to change to another product or so. Give it one or two months to see if the change works. If all else fails then you thank them for letting you try and relocate it.

I have had a triple that has done ok with two selections for the location it is in for the last six months. It is the third slot that had been driving me crazy. No matter what I tried I would only get a couple of vends a month through it. I went in there a few weeks ago to service and was ready to switch out the Skittles for one last item. Don't you know someone fell in love with them since last service. I went from .50 for the last month to $7 this one. Nedless to say Skittles is going to stay for now.

Its a psychological thing, kinda like reverse rejection. You care about it much more than them, trust me they will forget about you 30 seconds after you walk out the door.

When I first started charity vending, I couldnt do tell them, I even went so far as to say, 'gotta take the machine to clean it' or something and just never came back. Now its not a problem, I just tell them thanks but nobodys really using it etc etc and Im gone. It gets easier the more you do it, like locating.

Jimbo

With full size machines I always discuss with my contact prior to pulling. I will tell them the results have been poor or there has been damage and that if things don't improve we will have to look for a new location. I offer my product sheet to see if there are any products they would like to try. That way when I pull a machine it doesn't come as shock. I always send a thank you note after I pull a machine even if it was pulled because of their people damaging the equipment.

Ted

Yeah this is no big deal.  If there is no money, then that means they are not using it...  More than likely they won't mind.  If you feel that bad about it, just say to them that you are moving and you need to relocate your machines closer to home.

Rj

• 2 weeks later...

Great question!

I'm sorry I did not see this earlier. I actually have a template letter that I put together that tactfully explains why you have to pull a machine. I usually send the letter a few days before I go in to remove the machine. That way, they know I'm coming and I'm much less likely to have to stumble through an explanation on site.

I've used this many times and I think it would be a good addition to the tools section. I don't know why I haven't added it yet. I will upload it either this evening or tomorrow for you guys. I have so much material laying around I never know what would be a good addition to the tools section! :shock:

Oh, and DJI, I realize that you are not yet a PLUS member. Fret not, since you posted this great question I will email you a copy "on the house." 

Steve

Since I usually stay in contact and personable with my locations I just explain why I have to reloate the machine. They could really care less. They have their business to operate they aren't going to be offended if you come to remove your machine. Just try to stay as personal with your locations as possible and it will be fine. I always explain to my locations upfront that I may need to pull the machine if it is a poor location. I also use a location agreement and it says in the agreement that we will try to give them 3 days notice if we we decide to relocate the machine. I think a letter is a good idea also.

David

Pulling non produces in this business is a must. Everyone does it, it is no big deal.

Most of the time, I just tell them that their business does not have enough traffic to support a bulk vending machine, and that I am going to take the machine with me today. It is quite simple. Be nice, and they will be understanding.

I pull anything below $15. If it does above $10, I tell the local Vendstar operator, and he will usually take over the location with his machines.