Need to Remove Lock From Lid

T BIRD

I have a problem on a location that I need advice for.  I have a two head Elite machine at a very busy break room.  The lock on one of the lids is jammed up with something in there.  I cant see what it is but my key will not go all the way in.  The other lid and lock work fine.  What should I do?  Can I drill the lock out on location and then simply take the lock out and switch it with a good one?

And..........I have never drilled out a lock before.  What is the trick to that?  I appreciate some help from someone with experience with this issue.

The problem with drilling the lock out is that you would then need to pay money to replace it.  The machine might have to be out of business for a couple of days so you aren't earning any money.  In my opinion, it might be the most cost effective to just call a lock smith up, then he can fix it in a day and it would only be inoperable for hopefully a couple of hours.

I'm drawing a blank on what kind of a machine an Elite is, but if it's the kind with a screw lock on the top, then it's easy.  Way too easy if you ask me.

You need a heavy standard screwdriver with a square shank.  Pound the screwdriver blade into the lock's keyhole with a hammer.  Then use a crescent wrench to help turn the lock.  The square shank on the screwdriver is what helps the wrench to hold on to the screwdriver.  You should be able to unscrew it and put in a new lock.

The problem with drilling the lock out is that you would then need to pay money to replace it.  The machine might have to be out of business for a couple of days so you aren't earning any money.  In my opinion, it might be the most cost effective to just call a lock smith up, then he can fix it in a day and it would only be inoperable for hopefully a couple of hours.

keep spare locks with you when you service.   Hammer the screwdriver into the lock, put the wrench on the screwdriver, twist the wrench, and the lock is out of there.  Then take your spare lock and put it in it's place.  You don't have any downtime at all.

If it is a flat key type lock you should be able to tap a large flat blade screw driver into the lock and twist hard. It would be best if you were alone while doing this. :) -- It will come right out.

Mike

I agree with the screwdriver technique, but you will not need to pound it. Just insert and turn.(Bring vise grips for that added leverage if needed) Depending how worn the lock is it may still be usable after you remove the foreign matter. Flat key locks are a good reason for cam locks. (round key) Of course if that fails you could always give it a good whack with a hammer and if you are lucky it will break were the pin attaches the lock to the threaded portion. (Yes this really works 85% of the time)

Take the machine to a locksmith. They have a tool called 'easyout' which is a small drill bit looking object. They insert it in the lock and twist out the debris. If that fails they can pick it open without damaging the machine.

Bryan- I was a former maintenance tech.

Johnny:

You might not want to do that on site, since some of the employees might own a screwdriver. If you had a backup double head you could swap the machines then work on the lock at home.

Philo

Johnny:

You might not want to do that on site, since some of the employees might own a screwdriver. If you had a backup double head you could swap the machines then work on the lock at home.

Philo

Thats a thought.  Especially since the machine is located inside a Lowe's store!.........:shock:;)

• 4 months later...

I cant see what it is but my key will not go all the way in. 

Johnny I know i am a little late on this one but here is a piece of advice for the next time this happens.  If you will take something and tap your key on down in the lock it will open and push what ever is in the lock on down.  Often people stick toothpicks and other small items down in locks that will just move out of the way of the key.  This will also save you locks and locksmith bills in the future. 

I had received a used machine off of eBay that did not have a key with it. It was the circular-type of key, so I took a drill and a drill bit a little smaller than the center part, drilled it most of the way down and then used some pliers to twist it out. However, it sounds like you've got a good grip on it.