Help, my lock was altered !?

jasonvending

Hello all,

I have a double headed bulk machine in a hair salon, another machine popped up to compete with my machine and I noticed both locks (2 for 2 heads) has been altered.  Meaning the inner circle was rotated on both heads which does not allow me to insert the key.  Did the competition do this to me? How can I fix it?

Picture example of similar lock:

http://i14.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/ef/0b/ead2_1.JPG

All help is greatly appreciated.

Warmest regards,

Jason Oberc

First I would ask the location if they noticed them messing with your machine if you are positive you did not do it. If you have been providing good service then they may not like that the new machine person has sabotaged yours. Then I think you may need to take one of your spare keys and file or grind off the small tab that sticks off the barrel. I think this will let you put your key in and turn it. Have you noticed this persons machines at other locations? Is this also a good money maker for you?

If they were really off from the notch then I would say yes your competitor did it. I have heard some interesting stories of what competitors will do to machines. I won't post anything here just in case there are amy less than honest people looking for ideas but I have heard of some pretty cut throat stuff.

COULD YOU EXPLAIN MORE CLEARLY THE PROCESS FOR THE KEYS............ STILL NOT EXACTLY CLEAR ON THIS.

Thanks.

If they were really off from the notch then I would say yes your competitor did it. I have heard some interesting stories of what competitors will do to machines. I won't post anything here just in case there are amy less than honest people looking for ideas but I have heard of some pretty cut throat stuff.

COULD YOU EXPLAIN MORE CLEARLY THE PROCESS FOR THE KEYS............ STILL NOT EXACTLY CLEAR ON THIS.

Thanks.

The little knob at the bottom of the key. If you look at the link to the picture you will see. You need to file it off so that the key will slide in. You can simply grind/cut it off the key so that it will slide in without the notches lineing up.

Someone earlyer suggested doing this for security reasons. I will try to find the post and edit this with a link.

• 4 weeks later...

Most everyone files the knob off on the keys. Then to go ahead and post that info here, how do you know who is reading this, could be someone in your own backyard. Unless you have your own key code you'll never be fully protected.

John

John, only experienced vendors would file the knob off, and experienced vendors should know better then play with other machines. But you are correct without your own keycode their is no real piece of mind.

Even with your own key code there is still no peace of mind. It would not take a person long to dup your key. I have had to do this on an accation. Its simpler then you think. I won't go into how becouse that is what makes key's worthwile (not everyone knowing how).

In the class I took we only had 2 paragraphs on dupping keys. If that says anything.