Support ? Your spouse &Your business

lbizzell78

Hello all i have a question for both male and female venders that have a significant other.Are, they with you on your vending adventure or more so hindering? I 'll start mine off by saying my wife is more of a hindrance and not being supportive. i tried so many times we need to try and make more money outside the job.Why because when you always settle for an employers income they can often munipulate ones outcome.No i  not saying they are God. im saying  I dont want to put all my faith on my job. like she do indepent thinkers usually earn more correct?

My wife tries to be supportive,  She is the one who put up the original stake for this venture...She can be a bit impatient as we have ben at this now for 6 months and we had our first "discussion last weekend about "paying back" the original stake and seeing some income....

She owns the van I use to move machines(she is handicappe) and the van is built special with low floors and high cielings...makes the machine moving easier...BUT she has been a little reluctant at times in the use of her van..

My next purchase is a trade in on the chrysler 300 for a chevy HHR or something like it....better gas mileage and good for the business..

My wife is very supportive in giving me the time to grow this business and to service it when it's time to collect or If I get a call for service. She has also let me spend the money needed to do what's needed to make money. She knows how important good service is. She also has a business which helps her understand that you have to take care of your accounts.

Other than that, she doesn't even know where the accounts are. We still need to go out together so I can show her. Luckily, all the accounts are now on my new GPS so all she needs to do is follow it if something happens to me.

Gary

Tho I'm a newbie my husband has been very supportive. He's self employed and happy to see me so enthusiastic about this. Any problems with the machine mechs he shows me how to solve. He can fix anything.

I've always managed our finances, so he knows his tighwad wife won't go overboard with purchases. He trusts me.

Except for one slip, he's done an admirable job keepng away from the candy supply. :cool:

He's the greatest.

Barb

I really like this topic. When you are married you are no longer just responsible for yourself, but you are also responsible for your children and spouse. As a Christian man it is my duty to lead my family. This isn't just spiritual leadership, but also leading in all other apsects of our familly including fiscal responsibilty. This does not mean I get to make all final decisions. I am a servant first and it is through this that I acquire the discernment required to be a good steward of God's will in the position He has placed me in. With that said...

My wife is supportive of me doing bulk vending. I know she often gets tired of me talking about it and I get the blank look from her as if I was talking to a wall. She wants to see me succeed. When her mom made a comment about how little I'd be earning with bulk vending she piped up to defend by business and its growth. It made me feel very proud of what I am doing. While my wife isn't nearly as interested in vending as I am, she is supportive. She is often times put in a role that she doesn't necessarily want to be in; my voice of sound reason and judgement. We have had some strong disagreements over vending issues, but I have learned to yield to the gifts God has given her. We may disagree on certain things, but I know this, My marriage is far more important to me than my vending business. My wife is truly a blessing to me.

Liizzel78, I mentioned fiscal responsiblity earlier in my post and will now touch on that. I do not count on my vending money for living expenses and will not until I have grown my business to the point that I can comfortably do so. If my wife and I needed more money to live on, I would work more overtime. If that wasn't enough or not an option I would get a second job. I fully believe that sometimes you need to dig your heels in deep and make the sacrifices you need to make in order to make life better for you and your family. For me that was joining the military and getting new skills, then it was getting a well-paying civilian job and working 6-7 days per week and lots of overtime to get us to a point where we are  fairly comfortable. Henry David Thoreau was a free thinker...died broke, Thomas Jeffersoin was a free thinker...died $200,000 in debt. Independant thinkers do no necessarily earn more. 

I'm not hating on you or saying you don't have skills, just stating my opinion.It is my experience that the people with the highest skill level make the most money. I am skilled labor. My employer laid off over 1/2 of its laborors in the past year. I had only worked there for 3 years. People with over 20 years were getting laid off. I didn't get laid off because I was too valuable. I was told by supervision that I am highly skilled labor and too hard to replace so I didn'tt have to worry about getting laid off. Skills make money.

While my employer may not always be there, I trust that at the end of the week I will have a paycheck and a job to come back to tommorow. There is a certain amount of insecurity working for someone else, but I am willing to take it because it provides a certain amount of security for my family. Eventually, I will be able to provide my family financial security through my vending business if it is in Gods will. Until then, back to the daily grind.

Joe   

My wife is very supportive of this business. She helps service the machines and sometimes drops off machines at locations. I handle 85% of the business and she (and even my kids help.)

It really is a "family business" as described by our name........

Hallenbeck Family Vending

Good topic!  My wife Deb is involved in the business.  She needs to get more involved though.  I have to get her used to the Ventrak software.  She has come out and is learning how to take money out of the machines and fill them up.  She is also learning how to locate. 

Wendi is the full time person for our business. I still work a full time job. She runs the routes and locates while I buy equipment and product. It is very rare she will get on a vending board. She leaves all that to me. This has been and is always planned to be a family business. I hope to keep my son working with us part time while he goes through school. Im guessing the .25 per stop we pay him now wont hold when he is in college!

Mike

Very interesting topic, and all the posts are bringing up some very good points. I will be the first to admit that I have not always been as supportive as I could have been when it came to the vending business, especially at the beginning. But Steve and I compliment each other in the fact that his head tends to get 'stuck in the clouds' and I bring his feet back firmly to the ground. He'll tell you he's the optimist in our relationship, which he definitely is. He'll try to tell you I'm a Pessimist, I prefer Realist. LOL! So there have been times where I have had to burst his bubble of excitment over some new venture, but in the end he usually realizes that I was right to do so.

Sometimes I help him sevice the routes, and there have been times where I have gone out to do a few with out him. I have even tried locating, but I'm just not very good at it. I roll my eyes and drag my feet (literally) when asked to look at graphs and charts, or if he tells me I just have to read this one post on the forum. (no offense guys! hugs and kisses) I do browse and post every once in awhile on here, but he is obviously more much more invested emoitionaly here than I could ever be. (And look at the wonderful community that has been established!)

As in every type of relationship, personal or professional, there always has to be some give and take. Having family support is great, but not always necessary, though. Sometimes you just have to prove them wrong, just make sure you don't jeapordize their security or wellbeing in your quest to be independent.

Starting out small and slowly building your fleet, will hurt less financially and help build trust in the venture without being too overwhelming or scary.

As in every type of relationship, personal or professional, there always has to be some give and take. Having family support is great, but not always necessary, though. Sometimes you just have to prove them wrong, just make sure you don't jeapordize their security or wellbeing in your quest to be independent.

Starting out small and slowly building your fleet, will hurt less financially and help build trust in the venture without being too overwhelming or scary.

This is absolutely true. I'm just recently learning that by taking my time and growing efficiently...but more slowly I can earn her my wife's trust in this venture and my ability to run it. It is less overwhelming and scary to her

I think I have gained some of the trust back that I lost when I started this venture behind her back with birthday and christmas money I received. When she found out she was mad, but shortly after calming down said, "This is the first business idea you've had that I think you can actually make money at....there is relatively little chance of you losing money on it."  While my wife is supportive of me whether I succeed or fail, I am finding her trust in me operating the business is growing more and more as my business grows more and more. I try to keep her informed on absolutely every penny I spend so that she knows that she can trust I am not spending our family's financial security on vending machines.

Joe

When I started I was looking for something to make some extra money that I could do with my work hours. I get up just before 1 am to be there at 2:30 but I have no set time to go home. It could be six, eight, nine or twelve hours+. So I was having a hard time trying to find a part time job when I stumbled on an ad for a vending route online in our free classified ads. I investigated the vending business without all the info here and decided it looked good. I tried to sell the idea to my wife and she said I was crazy but finally gave in to letting me take $4000 from our savings to get the route. So I called him to make an offer and he said sorry I sold it yesterday.

So I went to plan B. I cashed in one weeks vacation to get started from the ground up. My wife really does not have a clue about the vending business other then the pile of quarters I bring home every month. Her only interest is did I have a good month or bad. I get to do what I want with the profit because it was all mine to start with. With it's small size right now you can not live off it but in time you can grow it however large you want to. So to sum it up she does not discourage it or really encourage it. To her it is just one of my hobbies that makes some extra cash for me to spend.

this one is a bit differnt for me , im only 15 and it was not always asy to get support.  At first my parents didnt liek the idea,. and thought it was dumb, andi said who cares about them im starting a bulk vending route.  I paid for everything myself, and to this day i have not loaned, stole or borrowed any money to build my business,  These days they finally see why i got into this, they cant belive all the quarters after i do the route.

it kinda makes me sad they didnt belive in me from the start but , w.e there not the best parents any way .........

thanks guys

First let me say thanks to all you guys .People like you is what makes this site great.I must say though, to some of you guys .My wife and  dont have much so im not jepordizing finances.Thing is someday I want to be able to have a little more.Thank god we have each other. Im saying we have a very small amount of machine on location im enthused because the little income gained from these location required a very small amount of my time.Like most of us here Im  use working hard for my money.I just want her to try to be a little more supportive and exrcise more options ya dig. Idid get a new location today she came along and acted very professinal unlike like the first time i took her to a location. I think we can all agree you cant suceed without trying .God dont make it fall from the sky i believe he aids those who have the drive and will power.its like this guys, im tired of i should of, could of ,would of, sometimes you gotta let your nuts hang and right now ,mine sagging to the floor.I GOTTA  TAKE CHARGE and show her .We have let too many great opurtunities pass only to be left with wishes and dreams. She is never with anything other than just settling for what ever. Thank guy for you input. Im gonna pay my bills first after that i doing vending next im tired of life passing me by.

it kinda makes me sad they didnt belive in me from the start but , w.e there not the best parents any way .........

Benjie I just wanted to add something to your comment.

You're only fifteen, and you've already learned something that most people learn as adults, and some never learn--to set your sites and go ahead and do it anyway, despite lack of support and criticism around you.

You haven't let negativity or setbacks stop you. That is a gift. Now you know you can accomplish anything you set your mind to!

Barb

My Husband is not very supportive but has a lot of respect for my business.  Initially, when I told him about my desire to get into vending three (3) years ago, he stated that he thought it would be too much trouble for too little money.  He was wrong.   Now he sees the tax advantages we receive as a result of the business and he's likes the extra cash we receive each month from the business.  As a matter of fact, some of the monies will even offset the expenses of keeping our son in private school.  Our son occasionally helps with the business and loves collecting the money and filling the candy machines and full line machines.  He gets a kick out of it plus he's learning the value of owning and operating a business.

Since  my Husband is not very supportive of my business, I plan to develop a plan on how to liquidate the business in the event that I am unable to operate the business at some point.  He's not every entrepreneurial minded.  I believe that God gave us talents, skills and abilities for a reason and I plan to use mine to the best of my ability and not squander my talents.  Business school doesn't teach you everything.

This is my second business venture and I have been successful in both ventures while holding down a full-time job.  I liquidated the first successful business after I got married because my husband was not supportive but after 10 years of marriage, he was willing to let me try vending.  However, I don't think that he thought that I would stick with it for so long.  Surprise!  I'm still growing and thriving.  What a blessing!  I agree, God helps those who helps themselves.

The business is in my name and I came up with the idea. My husband Eric has been very supporting. I'm not good at locating and he tries to do that for me. He made my Database program for tracking location and candy performance. He is willing to work for candy. (Hahahaha) He helps me to place the machines now seens I injure my back. Also, he is helping me to service them now.  until I can get back on my routine. All business decitions are pass by him before I do anything. We brain storm together.  That helps a lot.  The business is picking up and is all because of his contribution to it.  I feel in solid ground thanks to his loving support.

Thanks!!

Gwen