Fed up. Does anyone bother getting local permits?

I really want to follow every law to a t, going into this business. But the regulations in the states that I'm looking into building my route (Pa and NJ) are really confusing and the local laws seem to hamper bulk vending.

For example, about half the townships in my area want 50$ per machine per year. But the positive side of this is that their applications are almost nothing (you give your name, the address of your location) pay your $$ and that's it.

The other half of the townships charge between 15-25 $ per machine but they want the owner of your location to submit a letter (or go in person) to the zoning office for approval, or they want the square footage of the location + the name and address of the business owner + the name and address of the property owner (try convincing a location to do all that just to place your machine).

Most townships don't even specify if they issue permits per stand or head (so theoretically a triple head could cost you 150$ a year).

Mind you in both NJ and PA they want you to place a sticker that says your name and address on each machine and your business ID number (which isn't too horrible) but I have NEVER EVER seen this done in practice on any bulk machines in my life and I've lived in this part of the country for almost 30 years. I don't even see this being done on full line vending, ever. 

I heard someone say that local businesses almost never get inspected (unless they have a liquor license). I found that hard to believe, but now it is starting to make a little sense. I really do not want to circumvent any laws be they local, county, or state. But I'm running out of options. 

Am I over-thinking all of this? Does anyone have any suggestions? 

I only comply when the business owners ask about it. It ranges from $25 per head to $25 per rack. I got thrown out because no sticker, but they sold liquor. I had one city go from 5 per head to 25, I went to pick them up and heard this well my reaction almost get me hauled off by the cops. I told the bimbo I'd pull them before I paid that. The owner was pissed when I pulled the rack.

All these fees are just taxes upon taxes in my book. These jurisdictions are like vampires but instead of blood they want to suck up everyones money because they have no clue how to run something within a budget. And, like a vampire, they never get enough. If you go to them and ask, yeah their going to want you to register and pay fees, thats just their nature. The key words are voluntary compliance. You need to weigh the risk vs rewards but I know of vendors who dont even have a sellers permit in my state and they have never had any issues.

Archived