Huge Problem - Free Candy

hemmco

For the past four years, I have had 100 triple head bulk vending machines that I tended to as a side business.  Recently I purchased 600 more and this is now my full time job.  I have about 375 placed, but I have been getting calls from the businesses saying that my machines are giving the candy away.

The problem is that the wheels are opened all the way and it is dispensing the most candy possible.  I was ok with that, but I am now finding that if you take the slots that have the smaller candy such as Reeses Pieces or Skittles, and turn the coin mech until it stops over and over again then it drops a few pieces of candy.  If the customer continues to do this over and over, then he/she gets a nice handful of candy for free.

I know how to prevent this from happening on the machines that I haven't yet placed.  I am going to adjust the wheels so that less candy comes out and therefore preventing the likelihood that "free" candy can drop down.

My problem is the machines that I have already placed.  Aside from taking the machines out, emptying all of the candy, adjusting the wheels, then putting all the candy back in, can anyone think of any tricks or short cuts to prevent me from spending a month and a half simply fixing this problem.  In other words, is there a way to adjust these wheels while the candy is still in there.

I purchased these machines from XYZ and from Triplevend.  I have the Bulk Pro from XYZ and the Triplevend equivalent.  Somebody help before I lose my mind!!!

Bill

If the 1800's are anything like the XYZ's, then your candy wheel is ouit of alignment.  You will need to empty the candy, and make the vend size smaller.  After this, Like Kyle said, line your wheel up over the hole.  Test it to make sure you can't see a small opening when you turn it w/out a quarter in the mech.  We have a couple of threads on vend sizes as well:

http://www.vendiscuss.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=346&forum_id=1&highlight=serving+size

You indicate that you have some extra machines. Fill up a triple with adjusted wheel to your existing customer. Tell them you are replacing their existing machine with fresh ;product. A simple switch out of the machines for your existing spots should not be a big deal. Most customers will view this as an example of good service. Take their old machine back to be adjusted later.

Philo

• Like 1

Thanks for everybody's input and advice.  It sounds like I need to change the dispensers anyway.  I appreciate everyone responding so quickly.  I will let everyone know how it goes...I can't wait to spend the next month solid simply fixing a problem!!!

Bill

P.S. Has this every happened to anyone else?

Bill,

I don't have this type of machine, but I believe have similar ones. In mine, my candy wheels must be aligned dead center with the opening after the customer fully turns the mech or when they wiggle the handle some candy will come out if alignment is off. You can try this.

I also agree you should cut down your vend portions especially if this is your full time job now. With increasing prices your margins will not be good when you figure the entirety of your costs.

ALso, you might see if this problem is machine-specific (an malfunction in the internal parts) or if it is the same with every machine. Once the word gets out, people will go for the free candy everytime. My Beaver gumball machines will give 2 gumballs if my wheels are not aligned just right. I have had reports of people turning the machines upside down and shaking it to dispense free gumballs - they could only do it if my wheel alignment was off though.

Also, check your collections and learn to know about how much $ to expect if your bins are empty, 1/2 empty, 2/3 empty, etc. If you money is too low for the amount of product dispensed, troubleshoot the things mentioned in the post.

Hope this helps,

Mark

• 7 years later...

Bill, I don't have this type of machine, but I believe have similar ones. In mine, my candy wheels must be aligned dead center with the opening after the customer fully turns the mech or when they wiggle the handle some candy will come out if alignment is off. You can try this. I also agree you should cut down your vend portions especially if this is your full time job now. With increasing prices your margins will not be good when you figure the entirety of your costs. ALso, you might see if this problem is machine-specific (an malfunction in the internal parts) or if it is the same with every machine. Once the word gets out, people will go for the free candy everytime. My Beaver gumball machines will give 2 gumballs if my wheels are not aligned just right. I have had reports of people turning the machines upside down and shaking it to dispense free gumballs - they could only do it if my wheel alignment was off though. Also, check your collections and learn to know about how much $ to expect if your bins are empty, 1/2 empty, 2/3 empty, etc. If you money is too low for the amount of product dispensed, troubleshoot the things mentioned in the post. Hope this helps, Mark

How do you align your beavers from giving more then one gumball? I have the same problem.

Rnew,

I don't have a solution for you but think it's because the gumballs are slightly smaller than they used to be. I have the same problem occasionally (not every time) even with perfect alignment. The solution is going to a smaller gumball wheel from beaver but the cost to retrofit machines is enormous for me.