Anyone doing TRAILMIX ?

vendboy

I bought some, but haven't actually put it in a machine yet. Worried about it gumming up. It was Members Mark brand from Sam's. The price made a $.25-vend possible. The raisin's worry me though. It seems pretty loose in the bag, but still.

Are there are any options other than nuts to help satisfy those customers craving a salty snack?

I bought some, but haven't actually put it in a machine yet. Worried about it gumming up. It was Members Mark brand from Sam's. The price made a $.25-vend possible. The raisin's worry me though. It seems pretty loose in the bag, but still.

Are there are any options other than nuts to help satisfy those customers craving a salty snack?

Z, I wouldn't worry about it gumming up but it will create a mess in the machine.  The oil from the nuts will keep it loose but will leave residue on your globe, chute, etc.   The nuts also spoil quickly and may end up costing you in the long run.  Here are a couple of posts I found that may give you an idea of what I mean:  http://www.vendiscuss.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=917&forum_id=1&highlight=vend+nuts

http://www.vendiscuss.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=1037&forum_id=1&highlight=vend+nuts

I really do not understand the aversion to nuts, if you live in a northern state with seasonal type weather, and inventory control then there should be no problems of spoilage. I have used 250lbs of BBQ peanuts, 50lbs salted peanuts, 35 lbs of cashews, 100 lbs pistachios in the last 6 months. I have only thrown away two pounds of salted peanuts. I don't do cashews anymore, and I'm phasing out pistachios. If you are doing nuts then the mess is not an issue as you refill it with nuts. (Not really that bad either)

In some location nuts outsell PMM's 10 to 1.

I'm also trying out a cajun mix nuts and deep fried something with spice. I should also point out the nuts I use are made for the vending industry, oil is controlled according to the season less summer more winter.

I do not think heat affects the nuts, at least not as much as humidity. We have a temperate climate no where near the heat or humidity of the southern states. The nuts are in air conditioned and not air condition,(unless open doors count) such as warehouses and factories.

Smell and taste will tell you when they are spoiled, if you won't eat them why would you sell them?

A lot of vendors track money on how well they are doing, I track inventory for a better picture. I order from my supplier who tries to only keep 30 days of stock on hand, I keep 30 days stock on hand, stored @ 65 degrees. The customer gets the freshest product available in a bulk machine.

I guess you can say I'm part of a vending group of sorts. My charity is the CMHA (Canadian Mental Health Association) which was in partnership with EV's Vending in a thing called the stride program. Stride is no longer but the program remains in part, as EV's still supplies bulk vendors, and we donate accordingly a percentage of what we buy from EV's. (from 5% to 20%) What is nice is he deals with the manufactures direct and gets some products made to his specifications as EV's use to be a manufacture too.

My peanuts come in 2lb bags in 24lb boxes, as do my jelly beans and most nuts. (not all) They are cooked or mixed to EV's specifications and packaged for them.

That being said in the US check with major food distributors, like GFS for bulk quantities. I could not imagine driving to Costco every month and picking up 600 or 700 lbs of product.

I am definitely thinking of trail mix but have not tried yet; the only nut that seems to sell here is Cashews and that is spotty and not terribly profitable. I need a nut product because I agree you miss out on sales, as well as variety. I have been asked about trail mix because they are healthier and people say cashews are real bad for you. Whatever, the trail mix at Sam's would be profitable if you turn the wheel way back; I am going to buy a bag and test and let you know. As for cleaning and gumming up I usually just keep adding until they get tired of eating then I pull the cannister and clean it real good (dishwasher for the cannister part).

I am also thinking of gourmet jelly beans, again turning the wheel back to limit amount. With price increases they can get some for .25 or more for .50 or just put in two quarters from the start. Prices are going up dramatically.

I do not like to add much inventory but most of my locations the sales steadily go down if I don't mix it up. I could be wrong, but I think the variety and quality you offer can overcome smaller portions. You just have to be smart about what you offer and mistakes will be made.

Jim

I thought the trail mix would do well in this area. I gave up. Perhaps to quickly, but they were not selling. I mixed plain MM, nuts and raisins to keep it simple. It is a great mix. Plain nuts sell better for me, so I ate the trail mix....  :D

Oh, and I did .25 cent vend. Gave about the same as you would nuts.

I didn't. It was a real simple mix. Just regular peanuts, the black raisins and plain mm.

Didn't seem to gum things up or make them too dirty. The salt gets on the raisins and helps keep them from being sticky. I think I did 1 part mm 1 raisin and 2 peanut.

I use Virginia nuts from Sam's in some of my blue collar acconts and the y do OK. I probably sell through 1 can every two months at 2 of my locations.

Regards,

Philo

Philo- Do the nuts from Sam's last for while, as far as shelf life?

If you can get BBQ peanuts they will outsell salted plain peanuts.

Why no cashews in mixed nuts? (preferable pieces and not full size)

Shelf life is not the problem, but machine life is. Once exposed to the elements they start to lose freshness just like anything else so fill accordingly, and store properly.

I have not had any complaints or problems so far, and its been at least 8 months since I started using them. That is not to say they have been sitting there for eight months as they semm to turnover every 2 months or so.

Philo

If you can get BBQ peanuts they will outsell salted plain peanuts.

Why no cashews in mixed nuts? (preferable pieces and not full size)

Shelf life is not the problem, but machine life is. Once exposed to the elements they start to lose freshness just like anything else so fill accordingly, and store properly.

Grumpy-  Tell me more about machine life?