Placed first machine/lesson learned/question

alyssamma

Hi,

Placed our first machine today at a local bank. When we placed it and tested it we found that the vend sizes were all off. It was an XYZ EasyPro so we went home, took canisters from another machine, and used those. Everything then worked fine.

What we discovered was that somehow the wheel alignment had changed when we transported the machine. Easy enough to fix, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? If so, are there ways to avoid it?

Also, the bank asked us if we could place a full size machine there in their breakroom. The breakroom is small, and they only have 15 employees. I would need to get a small combo machine.

So, my question is...how many of you vend both bulk and full size?

Is one full size machine worth it?

Is there a specific type of combo you would recommend?

I realize that a) this is more than 1 Q and B) might be better answered in the full size forum, but any replies will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Kevin

Hello,

I currently operate both bulk and full size. I would never put a full size machine in a break room with on 15 employees. Ask them if they would take a mechanical counter top snack machine instead.

mrsar66, thanks for the reply. Yes, I didn't fully explain myself. When I said "full size", I really meant "not bulk" :)

They will take just snacks, but would prefer snacks and soda. So I thought a small combo machine would work.

So, that being said is it worth doing that for 15 people?

Thanks,

Kevin

I think it would depend on if you are comfortable with moving into that area. Did you plan to just do candy or have you thought about full line? I would think a small drink/snack combo would be ok if you can swing a few hunderd dollars but I don't do any full line. Next time you will adjust the vend size at home and be more prepared. The first one is always a fun one. If you plan to use the same machines do what I did. Make up a chart for how much each vends at certain settings with all the different products you will use. I used several columns because I have a few different machines. I can quickly glance at it to see what I need to set for each product depending on what machine I am placing or if I need to change a product to something different on location, it makes it easier I think.

Beer980, thanks for the replies. We *did* set the vend sizes at home. During the transport, they changed :( When we took the replacement canisters (also set to the same sizes as we were prepping them for the same product) they worked fine.

I was thinking somehow the machine got jostled when transporting it?

The chart is a good idea, will definitely do that. Thanks.

After thinking about the full size stuff, I have a friend who just started that...I'm going to give the account to him. I don't want to deal with a different set of issues right now - bulk issues are enough :)

I never heard of one changing sizes in transport. Do they have the fan blade shape insert that you pop out and put in the number slot to adjust or do they have a set screw like a gumball wheel? It takes a little work to come up with the chart but you only have to expierement with the settings once. Maybe start with a five setting if that is closer to the small vend size. Only use a handfull or product and not a full bag. M*M's and Reeses' should be about the same size. PM*M's are on the almost wide open side for about 10 max vend.

T-Bird, thanks. Any clues on what else it could have been? The night before we tested the vend sizes and they were good.

Perhaps we messed something up some other way?

I'm asking because I don't want to repeat the same mistake.