So...How do you do it???

JAS Enterprises

This question is for those of you that place your own machines. How do you get business owners to be compelled to allow your vendors in their place of business? I'm sure most will not just donate a space without some kind of restitution, so what are your techniques? I have some ideas of my own, but am curious as to what the more seasoned pros do. Thanks for the input.

Joe

Hey Joe, I wouldn't call myself a "pro" but I have placed 11 of my 12 machines.  If by restitution you mean giving them money I usually don't deal with commission accounts.  I strictly use "charity" accounts.  You tell them the machine is to help support a charity and they say "yes" or "no".  If you where to deal with commission accounts the average is 15%-20% that you would give to them out of your net.

I hope this helps.

You may do better if you can find a local charity to use. If not try to choose a well known national one. You may want to scout out what others in your area are using so you don't use the same one if possible. Generally a national charity will charge a fee for their sticker. That is usually $1 each and you donate another $1 per machine per month. I use our local Humane Society as an example. You never know how the location will react until you ask. Some just say sure bring it in, the more the merrier. Other will pick one of the usual excuses and say no.

JAS,

Most all locating companies use the charity angle exclusively. I have not found one that pushes commissions although I'm not sure why someone would need a locator to find a commission location.  Commission stops are very easy to come by.  It is very easy to give money away and locations are very happy to accept it. :D

Steve

Thanks JAS and Wrench. Always scout the competition. I have seen places with multiple machines from different vendors with the same charity. Sometimes the missing children or cancer ones. Those locations usually let you place your machine there but do you want that much competition? I am exclusive in almost all of my locations. If you have to compete then you need to be very different I think. I go up against a 5 machine rack and 3 column sticker machine in a restaurant. What did I use, a DI/Certs double. It holds its own against them but the difference is he is on commission while I use a charity. Carry a little pad with you wrench to make notes to go back later to try to place it. Snag a business card while scouting if you can, that way you might have the managers contact info for when you go back. That way you can ask for so & so instead of the manager. It sounds like you know them better and can get you a better response from them.

• 2 weeks later...

Joe,

Also, keep in mind that you are providing a snack service for the employees of the business. I find the charity angle is good, but if you go in there with free samples (especially in a business you really want to get into) you can get the chocolate lovers hooked! Emphasizing you are providing a "free" service to the business by providing a great afternoon snack has gotten me several new accounts.

Mark