Filling racks

guile

;)

I think what you are asking, is if you don't want to sell toys on your rack, do you sell a mix of different gumballs and candy or do you just sell candy.

My answer is, you have to know your customer and the customers that shop the account. If you are the only one in the account you should be able to do one type of gum ball and a variety of candy items. If you have a large setup in the account you could add different gum ball flavors. Bottom line, you should always try to have a mix of highly profitable products, (gum balls) mixed with less profitable products. This will increase total profits through blended margins.

Gary

Also, when you do racks, most of the time you are putting them in on commission. In my experience, you can't pay commission on candy and nuts, gumballs not included. % not there. Using capsuled toys either one inch or two, allows for commission payment.

Guile,

I am having good success with small racks in smaller restaurants some other operators are overlooking. It has worked much better for me to try NOT to hit a home run but stick with good all around products that sell well. I have larger racks with more variety, but some of my small racks do just as well as the larger ones.

I really like going in with assorted gumballs, a 25c toy mix, and 50c Sticky Mix (many of which I have oonverted to 75c). As mentioned in another post, you have to know your account over time and fine tune products that work. That's why I stick with product that have been working for me - if it doesnt work at a new account I move the product to another place I know I can quick-sell the product and try something new at the other location. As I've mentioned before, I've gotten burned by trying to follow all the latest trends in toys. Some have worked great. Others have bombed and I have lost money.

As someone else mentioned, you might try 2 gumballs. In my larger racks I'm adding green apple in place of a 25c toy selection and have had good results. Others are using Nerds gum and other speciality gums you can special order at Sams.

Hope this helps.

Mark

In many cases you can get some good 2" capsule mixes for .10-14 or .16-.20 if you want premium stuff (Family Guy, licensed products like NFL, etc.)  I have found that in most cases just a basic mix does really well.  I would only use special 2" capsules unless there was a specific request or some kind or just to mix them in with other capsules to lure more sales.

Joe

Guile,

I wouldn't personally use much candy on a rack because of the lower margin and spoilage, but I will share with you what I do with racks, maybe that will help you.

My basic rack setup is a 24" black stand with two NW 80s or similar 25" tall machine (50c 2" capsule and 25c Gumball) on top, and three smaller basic Eagle or similar machine (PO89, etc) with 25c toys, 25c balls, and 25c special gum (watermelon, green apple, etc) on bottom.  The reason for this is not to put too much 50c vends in until I know a spot will blow out on them, since the margin on them is huge but they cost twice as much as basic 1" toys.   I also do not want to lose the adult sales by not having gum on the upper half of the rack.  Kids tend to go to the lower half since they are shorter :)  hence the special gum and toys on bottom, they usually need mom or dad's help to get the top shelf.

After the first service, if/when it goes well, then I add a wing on the rack and put on another 50c 2" capsule vend and a sticker machine on another wing or a separate machine (space permitting).  With this, even if someone comes in with candy on your location, you have every high-margin product covered and it will be very difficult for competition to come in and try to beat you with candy-only machines.

I have already done this successfully twice, both with chinese buffets, and expect them both to gross $500 minimum each service.  One of them, I am the only machines there, and the other I am competing with a charity double candy machine, a Beaver rack, and another 50c Toy machine but mine is nicer and always well-maintained, cleaned, and stocked, which should give me the edge.

Joe, NEPA Vending