Part time vending?

The healthcare is an especially tough consideration now. You no longer have the opportunity (freedom) to decide if it is worth the risk to go uninsured for awhile while you follow a dream and start a business. If you do not have healthcare you WILL pay a penalty to the federal government. Once you leave your job, you may be able to continue paying for healthcare through your former employer for a while (at a much higher cost). You will probably have to figure out the ins and outs of Obamacare as it is now a very important consideration for the self employed.

If you were ever in the armed services, you may qualify for VA care. Even with all of the scandals it may be worth looking into if you are a healthy guy.  VA care is my primary insurance but thankfully my wife has very good benefits from her employer. 

I just hate the fact that the healthcare laws will potentially stop individuals from taking the risk to follow a dream and be self employed but this is a conversation for a different venue.... Good Luck!

Couple of thoughts.  This is not a political rant, because I vote for the candidates, not their party.

The penalty in year 1 for an individual not on a healthcare plan of some kind is only $90.  It escalates year after year.  So MANY individuals will decide to NOT subscribe to Obamacare.  I am unsure what the penalties are for families or self-employed.  But if I were a business owner......maybe I'd offer an employee $200 to NOT sign up, thus reducing my contribution to their healthcare plan and the employee would make some extra cash.  ha ha

If you've ever actually read the Obamacare plan - it also implies that "healthy vending options" are a good business to be in.  Enough said.

Topic for another discussion board.  But fun to watch you all hash it out.

I can speak to the health insurance questions/concerns, as it's what I do for a living. If you do not have access to health insurance through an employer, whether it be your own or a spouse's, you could qualify for a tax credit/subsidy towards your insurance each month. The income amount used to determine that is your modified adjusted gross income, so self employed individuals a lot of times qualify for signficant contributions towards their coverage, and at times cost sharing as well (i.e. lower deductibles, copays, max out of pocket, etc.)

Unfortunately we are outside of the annual enrollment period now, so you need a life change to qualify to apply. A life change could be the birth of a child, marriage, moving, loss of credible coverage, etc. If you're currently paying for COBRA, you can drop that coverage and explore individual coverage, if you chose to.

Archived