charity donations, what do you give?

Farmer_John

Just curious.  I've read a lot of non-profit websites that offer vending "outreach" and am just curious what you guys actually give a month.

I"m sure that the majority of you operate as intended, but you just gotta think, how does the industry (and of course the charities) police vendors for the monies promised by them but just "disappear" once they get their stickers.

John,

I deal locally with the homeless shelter.  I was originally doing 15% of net but recently decided that I would try a new method.  I would give $1 per machine per month to the shelter.  This will be my first month trying this.  My reasoning is that with the COG going up I wanted to make up for it, and also it makes my donations a lot easier to calculate and record. 

Some of those larger charities just aren't my cup 'o tea.  I want to feel like I'm making a difference in my community. 

I add my gross take for the month, figure 30%cogs, and then 15% of that net goes to NCCS.

Thats a good question though. I guess you could simply disappear after getting your stickers ( as long as you are not on an automatic debit system monthly.

I think a $1 per machine per month is a good starting point. For those just starting out without very much spare money while you get it going don't go broke overdonating. Once you start paying off machines and getting good producing locations then bump it up a bit more like T Bird is doing. Those that pay for the stickers once and run will see that karma train down the tracks someday.

I'm lucky, it is calculated for me when I purchase my product. 5% to 20% depending on profit potential. I submit my check to the supplier who sends it to my local charity office. Yes it would be easy to circumvent this donation by buying else where but why would I.

I think a $1 per machine per month is a good starting point. For those just starting out without very much spare money while you get it going don't go broke overdonating. Once you start paying off machines and getting good producing locations then bump it up a bit more like T Bird is doing. Those that pay for the stickers once and run will see that karma train down the tracks someday.

I would agree with that. I didn't know you can just pay for the stickers one time and never again. Personally for me, I chose a national charity for a variety of reasons. I am not saying I wouldn't also contribute to a local charity. I do feel in certain area's, a local charity could be a more "solid" foot in the door. It's also a great feeling to know your helping the community you live in. And I do believe in karma. I think people sometimes forget how important it is to give.

In order to be open to reception, one has to give without thinking about "what's in it for me".

g