Just starting out - some questions

jman7777

Hello all, I just happened on this forum the other day and I can't read enough.

A little about me - I'm an undergrad business student from MA looking to get my start into the business world for myself. I've been working the food/retail for over 6 years, so I have some experience selling food and dealing with customer service issues. I know this isn't a get rich quick type of business, and I'm not looking for that. I'm looking for honest experience to see if it's for me.

I am interested in placing 1-2 head bulk candy machines. I would like to try scouting the locations for myself before I try a locator. I figure, I'm just as good and personable as anyone else, I may as well give it a shot. If I fail, I can always request their services later.

I would like to send out a post card explaining myself to businesses in the area. I've decieded to support a popular local charity, and would make that the "selling point" so to speak. I would send my postcard to local car dealerships, pizza shops, post offices, restaurants and such. My question is: What should I put on this postcard? How do I grab their attention? Business owners must get a ton of junk mail daily that they just throw away, so I would need to be careful with my wording so they don't think it's just another piece of trash. What are some good ideas? Keep in mind a post card has limited space.  I would need to have some sort of logo and of course contact information as well. Would be interested in your opinions if my post card idea would work or not.

Thanks again!

Jarrod

Jarrod,

First, welcome :)

I would strongly recommend you do not use a postcard. The reason is as you stated above - no one will read this. Also, it lacks a personal touch, which is what you want to convey when self-locating. In fact, you say in your post that you are personable - and that will be lost in the postcard :(

If you are going to locate yourself, I would do the following:

1) Do it in person.

2) Get an eBook...there are a few free ones floating around. I find this one to be *excellent* http://www.yourvendinglocators.com/ebook.html. Other members might have some others.

3) Check out this website: http://bulkvending.blogspot.com/2008/09/power-tips-i-used-to-locate-over-100.html I find it has really good info.

4) Keep asking questions of the members here...they all like to help :)

FYI, we have located a few machines ourself and have used a locator (Midwest). I agree with what others here say that basically you'll want to locate yourself at least a little even if you do rely on a locator. You learn a lot by doing this.

Good luck.

Kevin

Jarrod, welcome!  I do not want to be a downer but mailings usually produce few results.  The best way to do it is to schedule appointments with the head managers and talk about your business face to face.  It takes a little more time than mailing but produces better results.  Good luck.

Welcome, Jarrod. Speaking from first hand experience, I would have to agree with the rest of the comments. Back in the early 80's I ran a moble disc jockey service and sent out mailers (1000 to be exact). I got one gig through it but with the expense of the mailers and postage, I took a loss. Locating in person is the way to go.

Yep, forget the post card and go in person. At least if you get rejected then you know it was not thrown in the trash. Try and develop a nice and simple sales pitch. Also you may want to develop a 3/4 page sheet that you can hand out explaining everything in detail in case you need to leave something for that person in charge that seems to never be there. Keep reading and asking questions. I would settle on a type font that you like and maybe a logo as well. My type on my business cards matches the type on my cold call letter as well as my name embroidered on my shirt including the color of the font. Also start looking at the machine reviews to see which ones might fit you and think about what candy selection you want to offer them. It is best to go locating with a machine so you can place it right then so they don't have time to change their mind. Welcome aboard.

Jarrod,

First, welcome :)

I would strongly recommend you do not use a postcard. The reason is as you stated above - no one will read this. Also, it lacks a personal touch, which is what you want to convey when self-locating. In fact, you say in your post that you are personable - and that will be lost in the postcard :(

If you are going to locate yourself, I would do the following:

1) Do it in person.

2) Get an eBook...there are a few free ones floating around. I find this one to be *excellent* http://www.yourvendinglocators.com/ebook.html. Other members might have some others.

3) Check out this website: http://bulkvending.blogspot.com/2008/09/power-tips-i-used-to-locate-over-100.html I find it has really good info.

4) Keep asking questions of the members here...they all like to help :)

FYI, we have located a few machines ourself and have used a locator (Midwest). I agree with what others here say that basically you'll want to locate yourself at least a little even if you do rely on a locator. You learn a lot by doing this.

Good luck.

Kevin

Ummm, Kevin, Did you forget about the 14 FREE vending ebooks we have here in member PLUS? Over 1,000 pages of great info! ;)

Steve