ROT Debate

caserri

Wow you are happy making $12 profit per service? Are you really making anything after gas and whatever else comes up?

Even though I do alot more then just bulk,I really don't like pulling over for anything less then $200 gross.

Just my opinion and what I like to make,but you should make at least $50-$100 profit an hour in vending.

I have always thought of doing full line vending because it is a little more secure if you have good service.But I always go back to the thought of it being a lot of work for little.

Fred

Fred, full line is just like bulk...some locations do really well and others don't :)

Our first full line was a combo we bought and put in a bank. It only makes about $50/mo. Knowing what we know now we would have never done this :)

However, we already had a bulk machine in there so there is really nothing extra in terms of gas, etc. for us to service it.

Our "good" locations only do about $75/week. I guess we could wait until there was $200 in there, but there would be a lot of empty product.

For bulk, the candy is there or it isn't. For full line, you might have 5 selections empty and the others full. Well, I want to make sure those 5 empties get filled as that is what people eat :)

Right now we spend 2x as much time on full line, but make about 2x as much profit.

To us, it is an easier way to reach our financial goals. We couldn't realistically have 200 bulk machines, but we could have 50 + 15 full lines making the same amount of $.

Kevin

It is not the same then if you have to go and service at $75 because of empty product.

The $200 I collect doesn't mean that anything is empty and that is just a minumum..Most collections are over $300,that is just the way I have built my route over 16 years.

I know many in full line and they all say the same thing.Combos are not the way to go because of the frequency you have to service.The product goes empty too fast so so you have to service and make less for your time.

I appreciate you expalining things to me but I have been around the block sort of speak.I do a lot of different types of vending bulk,jukeboxes,megatouchs,video,Atm's and more.I have been doing this for 16 years and have owned at one time or another just about every type and make of machine out there.The only vending that I have not done is full line but I know a lot about it and people in it.

Just a little about myself so as you don't reply to me like I am a newbie.I amvery successful at what I do.

Fred

Fred, I can see from your profile you've been in business for 16yrs so wasn't trying to treat you like a newbie :) I've only been around for a few months, so you definitely have more experience than I do.

I was trying to respond to the "$200 min" comment. My point there was that, for me at least, it isn't possible to wait until a machine has that much $ in it before collecting.

And as for the combo, I think they make perfect sense depending on the size of business it is in. Where we have our combo is perfect. I wasn't clear in my above comment about it. I meant to say we bought it new...I wouldn't do that again. I would have bought it used. However, it is in a small breakroom and a larger machine (or machines) would not have fit there.

If you can not collect before having $200, then I think that is excellent...and maybe I need to start doing what you are doing.

I was just saying that doesn't work for me...and it doesn't work for others I know either.

Kevin

Wow you are happy making $12 profit per service? Are you really making anything after gas and whatever else comes up?

Even though I do alot more then just bulk,I really don't like pulling over for anything less then $200 gross.

Just my opinion and what I like to make,but you should make at least $50-$100 profit an hour in vending.

I have always thought of doing full line vending because it is a little more secure if you have good service.But I always go back to the thought of it being a lot of work for little.

Fred

Yes Fred, For what I put into it, I am very happy with it. It is a minimal location that I can use as a gauge to determine what type of location will do what. As long as I turn a profit, I am happy.

As for the combo, I feel it was the appropriate machine for the location. Combo locations are where people like me will rake in the money. They are far too small for the big guys to even think about yet there is plenty of money to be made there if you know how to efficiently run your business. Anyone can pick "low hanging fruit".

Since we've had this same type of conversation many times before, I know you will never understand and thats a shame due to your infinite vending wisdom.

Steve

I hear what you are saying...

You will see as you grow and your time becomes more valuable the little accounts will just be a thorn in your side.Yeah the combo makes sense for little accounts, just not a good business model as your ROT is bad.My old partner did combo's and that is what he told me big mistake.The service is too  frequent for the little money collected.

Not to brag but I just landed one location today that is going to be over $1000 collection per week.

After you been in it for awhile you will see that ROT becomes just as important as ROI.I will sacrifce some ROI for a better ROT.

Hey this should be the POTD...Just kidding I don't care and it will never happen, but really this is the best advice I can give.

Fred

Fred,

Before you respond, let me apologize for that last sentence. It was un called for and I was out of line. I'm not having the best day.

I was tempted to edit my post but as you know, I do not delete or edit posts for content (only grammer or spelling) so what I said is out there.

Your input and experienced is noted and appreciated.

Steve

Fred, I'm going to disagree with your ROT statement. I think it really depends on what you are doing and what you want to accomplish with vending.

For my personal case, vending is a side business and will always be a side business. My wife does all of the collections, etc. As she has no "real" job (hehe...she takes care of our 3 kids :) ), her time is not "money".

In fact, for us, we love it when she racks up the miles for servicing a route. Why? I pay her $.585 per mile - *tax free*. Not only is this tax free $, but it reduces our company's overall profit (we have an S-Corp).

BTW, I agree 100% with Steve about combos. They are a perfect machine for the right place.

That being said, if you are vending full time and want to make $100K+/year, then yeah, your argument makes a lot of sense. But not everyone on these boards has that goal.

I'm not saying this to start an argument. I just don't like it when absolute statements are made on any type of forum. Not everyone has the same goals for their vending ventures, so advice that might work for one person might not work for another.

Anyway, again, I do respect your years of work in this field...just trying to give a different opinion on things :)

Kevin

Fred, let's try to keep this on topic please. Everyone has a different dollar amount for what their time is worth. Obviously if Steve is happy with what he is making then for him it is worth his time - regardless of how much it may be.

It really doesn't add anything to the OP's original question to go over this anymore.

Thx.

Kevin

This thread and arguments are starting to get silly.

How could you possibly disagree with return on time not being very important?

So instead of working for $50 an hour you would rather work for a lot less,say $10 an hour.

No need to respond I am done here....I'll take the high road you are right in everything you say and I don't know what I am talking about.

PS ....It doesn't matter if you are doing this full time or not why not make as much for your time as possible.

I wish you all much success.......see ya.

Fred  

Fred, sorry to see you go. And sorry that you cannot see viewpoints other than your own.

I'm not sure how you can't see that people put different values on their time, and therefore the concept of return on time will be different for everyone.

Actual money, of course, has a standard worth and will therefore make everyone's concept of ROI be the same.

It is unfortunate that you see this as zero-sum.

Regardless, thanks for wishing us luck, and thanks for letting the thread get back on topic.

Kevin

Yes Sir.....................Topic Over.

Mark my words Steve will not be happy years from now making such a small amount.He will look back at this and that account and laugh.

I have seen them come and go and the ones that settle for making nothing usually go.

You are never going to understand,not sure why I bother wasting my time on this lost cause..

Again wish you success.

Fred

Fred, again, thanks for being mature about this and letting the thread get back to its original topic.

I don't know much about Steve, but what I do know tells me he won't be someone to "go".

Again, thanks for wishing us luck!!!

One last Q for you, tho, if you don't mind. If you feel you are wasting your time here, since ROT is so important to you, why do you do it?

You seem to be proving my point about how people value time differently.

Or am I not understanding something because of your superior knowledge and experience?

Kevin

I don't have much knowledge in the vending business.

You seem to know alot for being in the business such a short time.Your right ROT doesn't mean much.

I am looking forward to much more input from you.

Thanks for sharing and making us all understand the value of not making much of a profit for your time.

Lets see I go out and service 8 small combo accounts in a day averaging $12 profit.

Ok doing the numbers I make a whopping $96 that day.OOPS forgot minus $40 in gas and some repairs along the way.OOPS forgot again have to pay for the machines.This seems like a very good business model that would probably net me about $20 a day.

You convinced me I am going after all the low hanging fruit that make peanuts.

By the way I know Steve will be successful because in time he will not be happy with $12 pofit from a combo.

You can make more then that servicing a gumball machine and be in and out.

Fred

vendamania wrote:

This thread and arguments are starting to get silly.

No need to respond I am done here....I'll take the high road you are right in everything you say and I don't know what I am talking about.

I wish you all much success.......see ya.

Fred  

Fred

I hope this just means you are through with the thread and not the board, sounds like it could be taken either way.

I like you look a ROT also, but that doesn't mean we will agree on all things and likewise it doesn't mean that we can't or shouldn't talk and share and grow together.

Look forward to hearing from you on many threads in the future.

Fred, you still didn't answer my Q. If by responding to this thread you are, as you state, wasting your time, and if ROT is so important, why are you doing it?

Shouldn't you be out making money?

Seriously, though, if you go back and read my posts you'll see that I didn't say "not making much of a profit" was a good thing. I simply stated that different people are happy with different amounts of money for their time as each person values their time differently.

I'm not sure how you can disagree with this statement. Just look around you at the different jobs people have. Teachers, firemen, policemen all make less than consultants. By your logic they are stupid and aren't getting a good ROT.

However, I would suggest that people have different goals and while the purpose of any business is to make a profit, people have different goals and are willing to accept different levels of profit.

It is ok if you don't want to respond to this...if you just want to maximize your ROT.

Kevin

It's not a matter agreeing or not.It's just common sense that you want to make as much as possible for your time

Would you want to work at a job for $5 an hour or $20?

It's always the newbies that think they know it all.

How could you possible think your ROT is not very valuable?..There is no one that I know in this business that would argue this point.

If your not looking to make money then just go get a job.

Ok done I got to go make some money.Hope I don't make the $100 an hour I am used to,I would rather make $10 an hour servicing combos and working really hard.

Coundn't help it this subject is hilarious...ROTFL

Fred

Fred, wow, you don't address the questions asked to you at all.

Again, based on your logic, why would anyone chose to be a policeman, fireman, or teacher if making the most amount of money per hour was all that mattered?

If that is truly your outlook on life then I feel sorry for you.

Good luck with your $100/hr...or $200K/yr. I hope the $ makes you happy.

One day you might look back and realize you missed a lot in life.

Kevin

Are you kidding me? If your going to work you want to make money at something you love.

No money is not everyhting..family,friends ect ect.

I have a great life doing all the things I love.Shooting pool with friends every week,playing texas holdem.Going to all my son's sporting games and spending a lot of time with my family.I took like 5 vacations this year,just got back from Italy.

Vending has made this all possible.

Again you don't know what you are talking about and you don't know me at all.

This is how much money means to me I let my wife quit here 60k job with benefits years ago so my son could have a better life.It was a big move and worth every penny.I would love to have the 60k back but I sacrificedd my financial well being for my family quality of life.

Open and insert foot.  Your A RIOT

Fred

Fred, wow...so I don't understand. On one hand you are saying money isn't everything and on the other you are saying people are stupid for not making as much money as they can.

Which one is it?

And haven't you lost about $100 or so responding to these posts? Why don't you stop - you keep threatening to, but somehow you don't. What's the deal?

You know when you are here posting you aren't maximizing your ROT.

You're (not Your) a riot :)

Kevin

Fred......what kind of machines r u talking about for one large per month? Videos? Megatouch? You would love my buddy from NYC. A major major player in all that stuff. The guy is so humble you would never know he was a multi millionaire from this business.