YOUR IMMEDIATE ATTENTION IS REQUIRED

West Coast Vend LLC

All Members:

Please read the attached important legislation that has been passed that will specifically affect you.

If you buy novelty toys from this point on you should request the test results for the following hazardous materials that may be present in the items you are selling to the public.

phthalates-chemical additive used in plastics

Lead-chemical used in paint

All suppliers should have their products tested by a third party lab and have test results.

Gary

Thank you Gary.

This is just one more set back to us novelty vendors. This is so crazy. I have so much stock going in and out, as most of you large vendors do, that taking the time to record all this mess is nuts. I will get the paperwork from A&A and Cardinal. How crazy.

In the coming years, bulk vending will be to much trouble then it really is worth.

Kyle

Thank you Gary.

This is just one more set back to us novelty vendors. This is so crazy. I have so much stock going in and out, as most of you large vendors do, that taking the time to record all this mess is nuts. I will get the paperwork from A&A and Cardinal. How crazy.

In the coming years, bulk vending will be to much trouble then it really is worth.

Kyle

As a father, I personally applaud this legislation. It is about time that stricter standards regarding the safety of these products to our children are addressed.

Every business and industry has certain regulations that must be observed. Bulk vending is no different. As I've said before, if you wish to be treated as a professional, you must treat your business professionally.

Kyle, I know you are young and perhaps you did not think about what you said. I'm sure at your age, you see this as useless legislation. When you get older and have children of your own you will appreciate the fact that other business owners, who you do not even know, care enough about your children to comply with safety regulations such as this.

Thanks for posting this Gary. Feel free to sticky it if you wish. This is very important information that everyone should be aware of. Maybe a link to this post in the regulatory affairs section is in order as well?

Steve

I agree with you Gabe. There are people out there that will look for any opportunity to make money off you if they can. I need to be safe with all my products. With BBV I could lose a whole chain of stores because of one incident. I have requested test copies of all products that I sell from the suppliers that I deal with. I am going to write a letter along with, the results of the test, and give it to BBV before the end of the year. I want them to see that I am concerned and proactive with the safety of their customers. BBV is all about families and children and I don't need any issues moving forward.

Gary

I do request this information from all suppliers, but we still need to be careful who we are buying a produts from anyone with a computer can come up with some test results. Always buy from a trusted company who is not a fly-by-nighter. You all know what i am talking about. be safe

It is very important legislation, but IMHO it is being handled wrong. The burden should not be put on the bulk vendors, but instead on the importation of the products. We buy in such small quantities compared to the amounts that are imported.

The thing that scares me the most is the first statement in the letter that we are responsible. I have not been able to find the act yet and read it but if we are responsible then the only way we are safe is to have the testing done ourselves and that would break us. The last recall was on toys from China and a major manufacturer that had certified that the toys were safe.

Diligence in this matter is going to be very costly on our end just documenting what batch a product came from that we put in a particular machine did we mix one batch with another of the same product in a single machine. Once mixed how do we tell which individual item came from which batch. Will we have to serialize them to be able to identify? Moving product from one loc to another. All of these will have to be documented for compliance.

Sounds like a nightmare to me and/or it will be ineffective.

Let this be a warning to anyone getting into racks. It isn't like candy and gumballs. I wouldn't even think of selling toys without 2-5 million dollar liability policy (You really need one for GBs and candy too). Im not trying to scare people but you have to dot your I's and cross your T's.

Mike

Great thoughts from everyone. I would like to ask those with the most experience with our suppliers:

HOW CONFIDENT IS EVERYONE THE MAJOR PLAYERS CAN GIVE LEGITIMATE TESTING DOCUMENTATION TO US?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Mark

I think that the suppliers that I deal with will make sure that the products that I buy are safe. Even though we are responsible for the products we sell, our safety issues will escalate and end up back at the supply house that the products where purchased. I really don't think that they want the feds coming to their building and closing them down to inspect all their products and testing facilities. I have requested test results for all the products that I buy now and moving forward. I suggest you all do the same. If they can't give you this information, don't buy from them anymore. It is called a certificate of safety for lead and Phthalates additivies.

Gary