sun shields

davidsurvz

Does anyone use any type of sunshield in the globe on millenia / SSF style machines. I have a good location and I think with the sun changing this time of year it is causing my PMM's to crack. I don't have anywhere really to place the machine away from sunlight it is in a sunroom type lounge with limited floor space. I didn't have any problems in the summer but now I am noticing the PMM's are cracking any ideas. I would like to try to do something. I would like it to be somewhat nice looking because the lounge is nice. The location specifically requested the set up we have there. It is a double (Millenia style heads) with a wood stand and it looks great in the lounge. I am trying to figure out the best way to keep the sun off the product and still keep the machine looking nice. I have never seen a sunshield for these types of machines.

Any ideas?

Thanks

David if i am thinking correctly the machine you are talking about has a round globe. If that is true take and get a colored construction paper the darker the better. And place it between the prodcut and the globe and you have a cheap effective sun shield that is easy to replace.

That should work. I have the same machine and it is the cylinder type globe. You might need to head to the hobby/craft store and look for a bigger size sheet in the scrapbooking section. They do sell single sheets or packs of 25 minimum.

shvend wrote: 

If that is true take and get a colored construction paper the darker the better. And place it between the product and the globe and you have a cheap effective sun shield that is easy to replace.

Problem with this method Luke is now it is a solar collector (heat gain), you have achieved blocking of the sunlight, but have also increased the problem of heat in the globe and tight to the product. I have used this method but strongly suggest white not a dark colour. Thicker to actually block the sunlight from working it's way through the cardboard. (and some insulating benifit)

The method I recommended works two fold, block the light and insulates a little bit; there is an air gap between the globe with the product and the sunshade. It is not the sunlight's lighting that is the problem it is the rise in temperature that is cracking the PMM's.

Good point grumpy, I generally use red paper in mine but in none of my locations i really don't have a heat problem just a fading problem. Kyle I would weigh my product options before doing something that would make my machines look cheap (hopefully not taken in the wrong context).