Questions from a newbie????

ob1308

Hi Guys I have been watching this forum for a while now and researching the vending industry, and think I am finally ready to buy some machines and get started.  Being new to this I have some typical concerns I am sure but the number 1 thing I keep contemplating is how many machines should I start off with.  It looks like I will get a better deal buying in bulk or watching craigslist and ebay for good deals but I also don't want to bite off more than I can chew.  Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Kevin and thanks for the welcome. I do not yet have any locations. I wanted to purchase the machines before locating or should I locate then buy? I havent decided whether I want to use a locator or do it myself. I am leaning towards doing it myself at first anyway to see how much luck I have.

I'm just so new at this I don't want to spend too much money on this only to lose it.

It will depend on how much cash you start with. I started with one machine with a plan to add one a month. How fast do you want to grow or can you afford to grow is something to consider. Are you going to try to locate them yourself or hire a locator? I always say you should try to locate them yourself if you have time and are not afraid to get a no answer. If you go the locator route then we have several good ones here but it will set you back $50 per location at least. Check Craigslist to see what is available in your area first. No shipping is always good but Ebay is a close second. You may luck into a small route or machines that is good enough to get you going. Run a deal by us to see how good it is and welcome to the board.

ob, I can remember myself in your shoes. It wasn't that long ago, but I have found that it is easier (in my case anyhow) to have a machine first and then secure the location. That way, once the location is secured, you can just take your machine out of your car/truck/what have you and get going right away.

Best of luck to you in your new venture!

Thanks for the replies guys. I have been looking on craigslist and ebay and there are some pretty good deals. I just don't want to buy an amount I cant place right away and have to store them.

About how long should it take to locate lets say 5 to 10 machines myself part time. I know thats kind of vague and many factors will determine how fast but can you give me an average maybe?

that1dude- that was my thinking also.

Welcome OB

Start off slow and find an account first. Then, think about the type of product you could sell and the type of customers that the account has. There is a vending machine for every type of business scenario. If you buy a load of machine right away you may not have what you really need when you find an account placement opportunities.

Examples: Maybe a single gumball machine in a yogurt shop. A bulk rack setup in a video store with candy and toy capsules. Or a triple head machine in a youth center with two types of candy and gumballs in the middle canister.

Buy used at first and ask on the forums if it is a good deal before you buy. If it's for sale, someone here has bought them before.

Good luck and welcome.

Gary 

Thanks for the advice Gary that is pretty much what I had in mind. My main struggle is the more I start with the faster I can grow. I guess I just need to be patient, give a try and expand from there if I feel it is for me.