Locating Issues on Long Island

T BIRD

Midwest is having problems finding locations for me on Long Island.  It can be a real issue finding spots I guess.  They went through this last year in December and we waited till after the New Year to continue.   I obviously do not want to lose them.  Hopefully things will be ok for them and for me. I do not think I will make my revised goal of 75 locations though.  I may get to 65 locations and then call it a year.

On another note, I am going to get more aggressive with locations that I do have with other machines at the site.  I am gonna use those signs I made up that say ' try me now - bigger handful! ' and open the vend up a bit.  I am also gonna expand on the idea of using 50 cent mechs and vending pistachios and cashew pieces at spots that I have said no to before.  I want to see how that works out profit wise.

I spoke with Kevin at XYZ and told him I need 50 cent mechanisms for the Easy Pro.  He said his guys are working on it as we speak and he thinks he may have it ready in 2-3 weeks hopefully. 

John,

I need them as well. I will tell you this: The new mechs Kevin has started using are amazing. They are the best things to ever come from a china distributor. I am waiting for the .50, I am sure they will be great.

Kyle

What new mechs Kyle?  The ones he puts on the Easy Pros?

T-Bird,

There is a lot of 20 Vendstars that have been on eBay for awhile. I forgot the price, have you looked into it? Who are you using as a charity? I may have a contact for you to a charity on LI that could open some doors for you. I'll make a call and PM you.

T-Bird,

I can relate to your problem with finding new locations. When I started doing this 8 years ago is pretty easy to find spots. Then when I went full time 3 years ago, I was getting 25 to 30 new locations every 60 days. About 2 years ago locations suddenly became scarce - almost like someone flicked a switch to the "off" position. Some locators will no longer work this area and the ones that still do need to be closely watched since they end up getting a lot of bogus locations due to the difficulty of finding legitimate ones.

It seems like every vendor will eventually hit that brick wall at some point and that every location already has a machine or two. Because of this problem, I was forced to explore other avenues of vending - such as commission racks. I am very pleased with racks and even though my overall location count has dropped, my revenue continues to rise.

It also seems like all vendors will eventually reach a cross road and will have to determine which other paths to explore - racks, cranes, video games, pool tables, soda, etc. or continue with the status-quo. Another option in a saturated market is to buy other routes. Keep an eye on ebay and Craigs List and even call on some competitors. Also, did you ever find out about Wolfie?

Keep on fighting and you will eventually find your niche.

Jax

Thanks for the post Jax.  We talked about Wolfie at the conference.  Apparently he is not as active as years past in terms of locating.  I agree with your point about diversifying in other areas of vending.  I am in the middle of setting up my first three racks that I want to place at locations with commissions.  I am excited about this!  And I still have my eye on a route with 25 locations near where I have some of my machines.  He still will not budge from his ridiculously high price of $6000 for 25 triples w/ locations.   I feel like I am coming to the end of my charity thang.  It was good for me the first year and helped me settle in but I need to move forward and expand into commissioned locations  like you say in your post.  It's all part of my maturation process in this vending business.  I feel like the next year will be very good  for me.  I know some of the ropes now and I have some systems in place to help me expedite growth and servicing.  This site and vendors like you on here have helped me immensely. 

• 2 weeks later...
Midwest secured 3 more locations for me today.  A pizza joint, a clam and oyster bar, and a car wash.  There is one other machine in the pizza place.  The owner says theres lots of kids that go in and out.  I will look at these spots next week.

Great Johnny, Im still waiting for a few from Midwest also. I wonder what there actual procedure is for finding locations. I certainly hope its not the phone book. As I drive around eastern Long Island I see a zillion places that could use a machines! Still waiting on that Gravy location!

Hey T-Bird, still waiting on that phone book! LOL

??..........what phone book Mr. Shvend?  The one with all my girlfriends or the one with all the business' on Long Island?;)