I have an idea

guile

Since I'm just starting out, I am excited but at the same time, realistic. With that being said, I came up with something that may or may not help when locating. I am (still) working on a website and feel it is a vital thing to have in this business. Since I plan on doing most/all of my own locating, I thought it might be a good idea to add each location's name and address to my website.

Why? I would let them know that in addition to helping the charity, their business would be recognized on my website for that help. Free plugs for their biz.

g,

I had done this during my first year in business when I ran charity machines. I thought it was a great idea until other operators (commission) in my area looked at my site and basically took all my locations from me by offering the location a commission. I was lucky just to be able to share the location, but in most cases I got the boot.

I was literally telling all of my competition where I had my machines and worse yet, that I didn't pay commission to any of them (charity). They picked over me like turkey vultures on a fresh roadkill carcass.

I understand that they could've done the same thing by just seeing my machine there but having a complete list of locations available to them online seemed to be the catalyst that prompted their attack.

Good luck with what you decide. Let us know how it works for you.

Steve

PS. If you are interested, my old site is still up. I just don't use it anymore but it still lists some of the locations I had. You can see it at http://www.50spot.com. The locations are listed under the "Service Area" link. I don't mind showing it to everyone here because I don't have those locations anymore.

When I look at that old site now I cringe. It's like looking at and old high school picture! :P

Thanks for that Steve. It makes total sense and while I would have probably figured it out at some point, I'm glad for your post. It could have saved many potential locations. I do believe in karma. There is enough to go around for everybody imo. For those that take the "easy way" out, their success will (usually) not last very long.

You're welcome.

I cannot guarantee that the same would happen to you but I thought I'd share my experience since I had the exact same idea for the exact same reason. I positioned it as "free advertising" for the location.

Live and learn.

Steve

Hmmm, I may have to redo my thinking after your post, Steve. I am currently doing this and just a few weeks ago a Terminator 8 was placed in a lobby I have mine at.

It may be just a coincidence. If I see any more homing in on my locations, I'll take that web page down.

I hope it's just a random placing by this guy. Part of my sales pitch consists of my web site. I brag about the FREE advertising and the 75,000 average hits per day the site gets.

g

I have done my share of getting locations for many years.

I have located over the phone-mailers-and face to face i do have large web site as well, and i can tell you from first hand experince (30 yeras) keep it simple.

you and your car, a simple flayer, and hit the road face to face. the simpler you keep it the more locations you will get.

Simon

RJ,

I am doing full line and bulk racks only now. I have gotten rid of all my charity machines in favor of commission racks.

On the full line side, I only have a handful of beverage accounts and 1 combo. I keep flip-flopping as to which side I want to concentrate on growing.

As for the OP. Just think of it this way. What if you found a complete list of your competitors locations somewhere, complete with addresses. Now I'm not saying you would, but couldn't you think of a way to use that information to your advantage?

Steve

I see your point!  I know many full line venders who have lost major accounts to large operators who offer commission like Canteen Vending, etc.  So they may not have a list, but it's just as easy to walk into a business and see who is vending by charity or commission.

Looks like we are both heading in the same direction...  I too am ready to move over to full line.  Right now I have two combos and 3 large snack machines along with some other unique vending type accounts.  I personally have been just picking up used equipment whenever a great deal comes along. 

I think I want to sell the majority of my candy machines.  I keep going back and fourth on this…  In fact I just started switching all my slow accounts over to commission on the bulk side of things.  However with 430 machines, I'm looking at relocating a good 25%-30% of my machines.  I'll sell at the right price, but I'm not willing to give them away.

By any chance can you disclose to me what you sold your machines (with accounts) for?  I need a gauge as to what I can get for these.  If you'd rather not post it, then just send me an email to ron@snackmandistributing.com

RJ

Hello Guile,

The idea is good, but as Steve wrote, you don't want to do it that way. If you're good at making a website, you could get your own domain as something like OUROWNBUSINESSWEBPAGE.COM ... which, BTW, is available. Then you could offer each store location their own webpage for free ... as long as your machine stayed at their location.

Say for instance that you were at Joe's Burgers, and the owner liked the idea, you could tell him that his URL is www.OurOwnBusiness.com/JoesBurgers.htm . You'd make a page for him, including his Menu, Hours, Location ... perhaps with Driving Directions, Phone Number and whatever other information that he may decide important. The idea is to get him to use it! The more that he uses it, the more important that you are to him! ... and the more secure your location is.

Bob Butler

• Like 1