newbie still needing guidance!

kai1836

Hey I feel real dumb about this but I have to run this by everyone......I'm still pretty much brand new at this so mistakes are bound to happen but locating is perplexing me some. I purchased about 34 machines 2 weeks ago.....Since then I now have on location 15 of them. I am happy with the locations I am getting but I have already replaced one single with a double in a really high traffic restaurant. I felt kind of dumb like I should have just made it a double from the start but oh well live and learn....Well I picked up a nice tattoo parlor and initially set a single there. I didn't know how many people worked there and when I went in there are actually 5 people that work there. I thought there were 2. I set a single gumball there and the employees were happy to see it. The owner was asking me about what other kinds of things I could put in the machines and I said just about anything you might like. Several of the employees indicated that they loved rp's well I am going to go down and switch it to a double with gum/rp's probably over the weekend. My question is how do you prevent going in too light like this...... Should there be a minimum employee count per machine head or is it something you just have to play by ear.  I checked on the machine I switched to a double and it is getting used like a tijuana hooker this makes me very happy! Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Kai, first of asking questions is how you learn, so never feel your question is dumb.  I would say it really just takes time and experience to see the trends in your area.  It is possible to have a location with many employees but that performs poorly, and viceversa.  From what you say you are doing it right because if you put in a machine with say two or three heads and it performs poorly, you may have some product go stale. 

I would say to go with a double first until you get a feel for how things go. That way you can always adjust up or down after the first pull. Triples are the most common in my area and it may be like that for many other vendors. I almost always have placed a triple being optimistic I guess. When I first started I had a few triples and a double. I got a placement in a very small body shop with maybe 5 or so workers. I thought this place can't support a triple or maybe even a double but I had a double with me, so I placed the double. I now have replaced it with a triple due to the sales level from just those few workers. I don't believe there are many that wait for their car to have body damage and painting as it takes several days. They have 2 chairs in the office/waiting room. There is just enough room for my machine but that place does over $20 a month. So even when you think you have it figured out they change the game on you.

I read the rest of your post.

I see they requested RP! Go for it!

Also,

I change machines around alot. I do not ask, I just bring the new machine in, set it down, and take the old.

As you do this longer, you will learn to talk less, and just do. I am not very friendly when I service, and don't go out of the way to talk to anyone. I do give kids free toys, but I never talk to management when doing charity. To risky. If I want to upgrade machines, I do so. I think it is our right as the machine owner to put whatever we want in there (as long a space provides). If they don't like it and want it out....who's next?

Kyle

Kyle,

I like your philosophy of just changing your machines without really asking. I do have a quick question for you though: do you/would you ever just switch out the product without letting the manager know, or would you give them the heads up?

Kai,

I know how you feel as a newbie and I'm currently suffering your dilemma where I should have put a double where I initially located a single. Oh well. Live and learn...

Dude,

I know you didn't ask me but I will give you some input.

I NEVER ask before DOWNGRADING equipment but ALWAYS ask before UPGRADING equipment. It doesn't matter if you own the machines, you are a guest at the location. If you are going to make your display larger, you need permission.

Also, I never ask to change product. It is my obligation to tailor an offering that will generate the most revenue possible. Especially if it is a commission location.

Steve

• Like 1

Steve,

I got this tip from another vendor, and it has not failed me yet. Now, if I was upgrading racks, or cranes, yes I ask. Upgrading single stand setups, no, I do not ask.

I was in a Large Truck Stop two weeks ago. I took out a triple, and added two double setups with 2 A&A 2001's on each. I did not ask. I stopped by there Tue to service. The manager came to me, and thanked me for the upgrade, and said he loved the new machines.

Owners/Managers are looking for a change in most cases, so are the customers. A different set up, in most cases, will attract more quarters. This stop made $206 this month. The triple was doing $75. 

Kyle

Kyle,

I don't disagree with what you are saying. You can definitely increase earnings by mixing things up. I also don't doubt that the management thanked you for the upgrade. My point was that you still need to ask if you are upgrading. It's the right thing to do and even though you've had no problems to date, doesn't make it right. Remember what I have said many times. You are a professional, treat your business as such by acting professionally.

If the management welcomed the upgrade anyway, what would it have hurt for you to at least show a little respect by asking beforehand?

Steve

Kai:

Every area is different. I have triples only; 80% in lunchrooms, breakrooms and 20% in traffic areas. I will not put one machine in a lunchroom etc without at least 25 employees. My goal is to have fewer machines making more money per location. Or having a location that you can add machines or a rack down the road.

I agree you can be surprised by the occasional small location; however from my experience 4-6 employees will get tired of the candy or nuts you have and you will eventually pull the machine. It all depends on how you want to run your business and the goals you have set.

I think the 80/20 rule applies with vending too. 80% of your revenue will be done by 20% of your locations. So I have decided to target mostly the 20% locations. Just my humble opinion. By the way I lived in San Diego for some time and remember those TJ hookers. They were quite a sight!!

I usually don't ask when I change to a different product as a replacement for a slow mover. If it is in a captive audience area then I may say is there anything special I can put in for whoever I see at that time. To downgrade I don't think you need to ask. If you up grade it is a good idea to ask I think. I had a DI in a sports bar location and wanted to add a Certs to it to make a double. It would not have taken up any more space but I asked the owner if he would mind me adding it, so he said sure go ahead.

Exactly Beer.

We all need to remember that we are the guests. Granted, most locations do not care if you upgrade or not but it is a professional courtesy to at least ask.

Remember when I say "upgrade" I'm talking about adding more equipment. Not simply swapping out an old machine for a new machine. (single for single or double for double) If I am simply swapping for the same equipment, I usually do not mention it unless the POC is right there looking at me.

Sometimes they get a bit "jittery" when I already have a double there and I walk through the door with another double. :D

Steve

Even if you swap one type of double for a different one? I would like to eventually have the same type of machine everywhere and as I reset the old locations I may end up swapping double by manufacturer a for manufacturer b......