Licensing, Insurance etc. Question

ob1308

This has probably been covered in here already but I can't find it specifically.  Do any of you know if I need any type of license to place bulk machines in New Hampshire.  Also do you guys carry any extra insurance for this business?  Thanks in advance.

OB,

I have 5 bulk machines in New Hampshire - as far as I know the answer is "NO".  You do not need a vending license.  The only exception is if you are vending something that in not in "it's original package". (and more then .35 cents).  Now, I would assume like a wrapped sandwich would need a 'FOOD LICENSE' .  I guess a grey area is a 50 cent vend candy. 

So, keep the gumballs @ 25 cents and use commercially wrapped food and you should be good.

LIVE FREE OR DIE!

OB, as far as the LLC goes, if you want to do this "legit", I would say form an LLC or S-Corp. You'll get a lot of tax benefits. The primary one being a way to take a portion of your income without paying payroll or self-employment taxes.

If you are not planning on reporting the income, then no need :)

An LLC is a little easier to form, and if it is just you it can be run as a sole prop - which basically means you don't need to file any extra tax papers (other than your normal 1040 return).

If you are planning on expanding to a large size, or doing things other than vending, then an S-Corp might be a better choice. As a corporation, you have a few options not availabe to companies.

There are a few other threads here that discuss this in detail, but if you have any Q, let us know.

Good luck!

Kevin