Someone trying to rip off charity?

guile

I went into a location to "make my pitch" and noticed a N.C.C.S machine sitting there. First off, it was a gym so I was surprised to see a Vendstar sitting there with candy in it (I was pitching Dentyne Ice). Anyway, I notice the sticker looks VERY different from what I have. After closer inspection, I notice it is only the "Logo" of the charity and no contact info. I spoke with Shirley at N.C.C.S and she said these are the stickers they used about 6 years ago!!

The chance of this person actually supporting the charity are VERY slim as they would have replaced them YEARS ago!! I gave Shirley the location contact info and felt that was the right thing to do (rather then ME call).

g

Good for you guile! In these rough economic times that we are in, it is amazing at what lengths people are going to just to make it through the day, week, or what have you!

You know, it is vendors like these that are making it that much more difficult for somebody like myself who is not currently affiliated with a charity to get locations. Aside from my own personal problems though, it really ticks me off that somebody would be so ignorant as to not think they would be caught doing something like this. They may as well be robbing the charity!

Hey Guile,

I have 2 vendstars in gyms here in NY. Believe it or not it is one of my better locations. I just placed another one yesterday I hope it does the same.

I do like the way you handle the situation by calling Shirley.

Here is an interesting thing that happen to me. I ran out of stickers and ordered an additional 10. They took almost 12 days to arrive, in the mean time I placed 2 more machines and I explained to each location that I was waiting on the stickers handed them the charity brochure and letter. I guess one of the locations was keeping my honest and called to verify my story and affiliation. Shirley called me to let me know. I guess it shows that some locations do verify that we are indeed donating to the charity.

This may seem like an attack, but PLEASE do not take it as one, it is ment to create discussion. 

I'm not really sure what is the right way to handle other vendors who are "breaking the rules".  I see a lot of them out there.  Charity labels made on someone's computer and other things.  Should we be the charity police?  Who are we to judge other vendors?

My son often tells me about things other kids do.  My stock answer is "You do the right thing, don't worry about what others are doing - focus on yourself".  I do my best to follow the rules, and do what's is right and yes it really ticks me off when I see another vendor get something good because they lied or cheated.  I try not to let it bring me down or judge them, I continue to focus on my success. 

I'm not really sure what is the right way to handle other vendors who are "breaking the rules".  I see a lot of them out there.  Charity labels made on someone's computer and other things.  Should we be the charity police?  Who are we to judge other vendors?

My son often tells me about things other kids do.  My stock answer is "You do the right thing, don't worry about what others are doing - focus on yourself".  I do my best to follow the rules, and do what's is right and yes it really ticks me off when I see another vendor get something good because they lied or cheated.  I try not to let it bring me down or judge them, I continue to focus on my success. 

Well said BluePlate.  If you had to deal with every slammed, abandoned, broken or fake charity machine, you would go crazy and waste a lot of time.  I just focus on providing the best service as well as my own revenue goals for that location.  Just be sure to let the location know that the "bad" machines are not yours. The locations really don't want to get involved with petty vendor disputes.   SInce I don't have an exclusive, I don't deal with these confrontations.  However, a vendor with an exclusive does need to take "appropriate" action - the definition of appropriate varies between vendors as we have seen.

Jax