Question for those who do their own locating

guile

The big question?   WHY do I need vending machines in my stores? Be ready with 3 or 4 good answers and go though your list without taking a breath. If they have negative answers to those 3-4, have 3-4 more reasons you should be in their stores.

I like how this is worded, and hopefully I can add to this without sounding like an idiot... :P

I work in a bank and I "get" to sell products to my clients. I have been trained to do this with using FBB's, or "Features", "Bridges", and "Benefits". Let me give y'all an example of how a banking one goes, and then how a vending one may go in your pitch:

Banking: Mr. Customer, (feature) this checking account is completely free with no service charges (bridge) and this will benefit you because (benefit) you will have more money to save for your child's college education.

See how it works?

Vending: Mr. Bossman (feature) my vending machine dispenses candy at $0.25 a handful (bridge) which will make your customers happy because (benefit) they will feel like your store values them by giving them a good amount of candy for a cheap price.

You can obviously create your own and that was a hypothetical example, but you get the big picture... ;)

I like how this is worded, and hopefully I can add to this without sounding like an idiot... :P

I work in a bank and I "get" to sell products to my clients. I have been trained to do this with using FBB's, or "Features", "Bridges", and "Benefits". Let me give y'all an example of how a banking one goes, and then how a vending one may go in your pitch:

Banking: Mr. Customer, (feature) this checking account is completely free with no service charges (bridge) and this will benefit you because (benefit) you will have more money to save for your child's college education.

See how it works?

Vending: Mr. Bossman (feature) my vending machine dispenses candy at $0.25 a handful (bridge) which will make your customers happy because (benefit) they will feel like your store values them by giving them a good amount of candy for a cheap price.

You can obviously create your own and that was a hypothetical example, but you get the big picture... ;)

Your you could say:

Mr. Bossman(feature) my vending machine dispenses cand at $0.25 a handful (bridge) which will make your customers happy becuase (benefit) and by me paying you 30% which in turn gives you extra money for savings or pleasure!

Just an idea.

Luke,

That's a good way of saying it also but, I would not be so quick to give away 30% of my business. The part about "studying an account" before making an appointment with the CEO, I talked about earlier, is to have a commission structure that is, like a menu. What I mean is start lower so that you have the ability to go up if you need to.

After talking to the CEO or president or VP of the account, you will have a good feeling about how much you will need to give away to get in to their stores. Pick from your commission menu the amount you will offer and tell them like you are giving away a lot.

They are smart business people and know what it takes to run a profitable business. You may even go a step further and explain the expenses that you incur. Of course, not exact numbers but percentages so they will understand your profit goals.

Lastly, What I think I would use for benefits Sawyer is, if a mom or dad come in to your bank, my vending machine and products will help keep their child satisfied while mom or dad set up new accounts or take out a mortgage. Also, if customers have to wait, they can relax with a handful of candy. Key: This works in my other accounts like, oil change place, hair dresser, etc.

Be confident. You are the expert at vending, they are not, so they will listen to what you are telling them. Give examples of other account, like theirs, that do very well with your machines. Every business whats to know and have what the other guy has. They want to be competitive.

Gary

Luke,

That's a good way of saying it also but, I would not be so quick to give away 30% of my business. The part about "studying an account" before making an appointment with the CEO, I talked about earlier, is to have a commission structure that is, like a menu. What I mean is start lower so that you have the ability to go up if you need to.

After talking to the CEO or president or VP of the account, you will have a good feeling about how much you will need to give away to get in to their stores. Pick from your commission menu the amount you will offer and tell them like you are giving away a lot.

They are smart business people and know what it takes to run a profitable business. You may even go a step further and explain the expenses that you incur. Of course, not exact numbers but percentages so they will understand your profit goals.

Lastly, What I think I would use for benefits Sawyer is, if a mom or dad come in to your bank, my vending machine and products will help keep their child satisfied while mom or dad set up new accounts or take out a mortgage. Also, if customers have to wait, they can relax with a handful of candy. Key: This works in my other accounts like, oil change place, hair dresser, etc.

Be confident. You are the expert at vending, they are not, so they will listen to what you are telling them. Give examples of other account, like theirs, that do very well with your machines. Every business whats to know and have what the other guy has. They want to be competitive.

Gary

Two replies and two EXCELLENT posts!! Thank you Gary.

g

Exactly! I'm glad you got it! Along with this, I might be sure to tailor the whole FBB setup to that specific company, i.e. a scenario for an auto shop may not be the same as a grocery store.

• 2 weeks later...

Luke,

Gary

Gary,

I do agree with you but we are on two seperate sides of country on this one.  A 30% commission is low in my territory.  I will take any location and pay them 30%, it's better then what I run into all the time.  The owner of an establishment telling me "hey that vendor already put his stuff it and he pays me 50% anyways."  And I have to stand there knowing good and well he does not.  I do scout my locations I am trying to get.  I do have to pay high commissions in some locations.  I have some locations I have to pay 40% commission to but do the math of a 900.00 location.  That is with 9 heads, so I have not all that much in prodcut.  The profit is there but just not as much I relize.  But in this part of the country that is the way the business goes.  But thanks of the input!