Question for those who do their own locating

guile

I started to compile a “list†of locations (including company contact info) that require a decision be made by Corporate. I thought it would generate more interest (as well as contributions), but it didn’t. I know there are people on this forum who do their own locating.  Perhaps some of those people would be willing to share their “strategies†for obtaining “Corporate†type placements (i.e. Wal-Mart, Sears, JC Penny, Outback, Longhorn, Chili’s, etc). I’m sure it’s not only locating companies securing these types of places.  

g

This is something I'd really like to see too. I'm surprised the "corp" thread didn't gain much interest.

Perhaps most self-locators don't do corp places?

That's what I'm thinking. While most operators might not need "Corp" loc's to be success full, it seems like there are some REALLY good possibilities (money) in corp locations.

g

Guile,

Try to find locations that aren't corporate.  You can talk to the individual licensee and probably get somewhere.  Hope this helps.

Kai- I'm not opposed to finding NON corporate locations. In fact, I'm sure MANY operators have nothing but NON corp locations and they are doing just fine:). I'm asking because in addition to NON corp, I would also like to have corporate locations (many, if possible).

g

Here is another one for the corp list. Pep Boys Auto Store has a single gumball here in my town and I ask to place mine there too. They said to contact corporate in PA and they might be able to help.

Thanks for that Beer. I don't think I have seen a Pep Boys in my area though. I will check out their website.

g

I always felt a corp location is a manager change away from me getting tossed. I have 2 breakrooms, JCPenney and KMart, both came from a locator. I think for out front vending the best approach is branding the equipment - like Best Vending does.

I always felt a corp location is a manager change away from me getting tossed. I have 2 breakrooms, JCPenney and KMart, both came from a locator. I think for out front vending the best approach is branding the equipment - like Best Vending does.

I never heard about "Best Vending". Please tell me more. Thanks

g

BluePlate, what you say may be true...I haven't been around long enough to know. But my top 4 locations are chains - Olive Garden, Applebees, Giant Eagle, and Longhorn. They all do over $50/mo and Olive Garden does over $100.

I'll take those numbers until the new manager comes along :)

Kevin

I never heard about "Best Vending". Please tell me more. Thanks

g

Sorry about that. DUh!!!! Simon

Guile,

Try to find locations that aren't corporate.  You can talk to the individual licensee and probably get somewhere.  Hope this helps.

Kai- I'm not opposed to finding NON corporate locations. In fact, I'm sure MANY operators have nothing but NON corp locations and they are doing just fine:). I'm asking because in addition to NON corp, I would also like to have corporate locations (many, if possible).

guile,

nice. Good luck

Well, I will say that these tips, are closely held between a select few that can get into them. Your getting into "Top Secret" grounds.

I personally never share this stuff, especially on a public board such as the one we are privileged to have. Some stuff is best kept away from public eye.

Kyle

That makes a lot of sense Kyle. I do feel it necessary to "tread lightly" on this subject and can see why some wouldn't contribute. After all, there are individuals who base their business (and even specialize) on corporate locating. I am curious about just how many successful operators (who locate on their own) are passing these types of locations up though.

Well, I'm guessing the "top secret" info is knowing the right people to contact and nothing more - i.e., not very "secret". In other forms of business (i.e., trying to get into a corp for non-vending related stuff) that's what it is.

And my small experience with placing things via calling corporate has shown this to be true.

Let's not make this out to be like secret handshakes and the like.

And if people were really worried about sharing the info on a public board they could simply PM it.

Kevin

Well, I'm guessing the "top secret" info is knowing the right people to contact and nothing more - i.e., not very "secret". In other forms of business (i.e., trying to get into a corp for non-vending related stuff) that's what it is.

And my small experience with placing things via calling corporate has shown this to be true.

Let's not make this out to be like secret handshakes and the like.

And if people were really worried about sharing the info on a public board they could simply PM it.

Kevin

While I agree with you as well Kevin:), I do think there is (probably) more to it then just "making the calls". Knowing the right things to say I'm sure helps. I think people might be reluctant to give info that might be deemed "sensitive" because it may relate to their business. With that being said, I say you (Kevin) and I should put our heads together and come up with strategies to benefit the BOTH of us with regards to corporate locating! Heck, maybe we can start our own locating company on the side:) Oh, this would be OFF LINE of coarse:)

g

Telling you that "corporate will not approve" a location is an easy way out, by most district managers or store managers. I have corporate accounts and its just knowing the right people that can make decisions about placing vending machines in their accounts. If you talk to higher level corporate people you need to have a compelling sales pitch that makes them want to try your machines in their stores. You can not use the same sales stories on corporate people has you do at store level. You have to do your homework and walk in knowing what the account needs. Don't wait until you get in front of a VP, President or CEO before knowing about the account and their customer type.

Note:

They think about bigger things like, their customers needs, customer satisfaction, vending equipment appearance, service levels, commission,  product safety and product selections that meet their customers needs.

The big question?   WHY do I need vending machines in my stores? Be ready with 3 or 4 good answers and go though your list without taking a breath. If they have negative answers to those 3-4, have 3-4 more reasons you should be in their stores.

Think about these things before you approach higher management personal.  Sometimes you only get one change to sell them, so be prepared, go in there, and get them.

Gary

I started to compile a “list†of locations (including company contact info) that require a decision be made by Corporate. I thought it would generate more interest (as well as contributions), but it didn’t. I know there are people on this forum who do their own locating.  Perhaps some of those people would be willing to share their “strategies†for obtaining “Corporate†type placements (i.e. Wal-Mart, Sears, JC Penny, Outback, Longhorn, Chili’s, etc). I’m sure it’s not only locating companies securing these types of places.  

g

G,

I do all of my own locating, and have done very well with it.  As far as corporate accounts I will have to agree with westcoast on this one.  Just knowing or finding the right people will go along way.

My word of advice on this is stay away from corporate accounts.  Now I know you are sitting there scratching you head wonder "Luke Why Do You Say That".  The reason I say that is there is no security in a Corporate location.  Any little manager, dist manager, or Corp manager can decided one day lets get rid of those little GUMBALL machines. 

I stick with mom and pop and small chains.  Reason being is you are dealing one on one with the OWNERS, less risk of getting removed!

That is just my experience hope it helps!

Well, I will say that these tips, are closely held between a select few that can get into them. Your getting into "Top Secret" grounds.

I personally never share this stuff, especially on a public board such as the one we are privileged to have. Some stuff is best kept away from public eye.

Kyle

Funny, I have some ultra super secret locating tips myself.  Act now and you can have my secrets for only $19.95, but wait, there's more!  call within the next five minutes and get my BONUS "My tips are better than Kyle's" for free! (offer not valid in NY due to T-birds ability to get machines anywhere.)

Here is another one for the corp list. Pep Boys Auto Store has a single gumball here in my town and I ask to place mine there too. They said to contact corporate in PA and they might be able to help.

I had some Pep Boys and LOST ALL OF THEM!  The same old story, the regional manager wanted them removed due to corporate policy.  I know another vendor in Jacksonville that had the same problem.  Sometimes, a certain regional manager is either a nice guy or just doesn't care about the stupid corporate policy.  But those locations are very vulnerable when the next regional guy replacement comes in.

Jax

Kyle

Funny, I have some ultra super secret locating tips myself.  Act now and you can have my secrets for only $19.95, but wait, there's more!  call within the next five minutes and get my BONUS "My tips are better than Kyle's" for free! (offer not valid in NY due to T-birds ability to get machines anywhere.)
LOL!!!