A little spray paint goes a long way.

ButlersVending

We keep several cans each of black, blue, and red spray paint on hand at both our warehouse and in our work van.

On the routes, we'll frequently repaint a base, or some of a rack. Sometimes we'll even touch up or repaint a lid ... if it can be done safely.

At the warehouse, most machines previously changed out, have their lids repainted, at least. A couple of other techniques we use are painting the "mushroom" agitator of our capsule machines the same color as our machines. It looks even better than new. And when a panel becomes scratched beyond simple restoration, they are painted either red or blue ... on both sides, and used as the back panel for our venders, both the NW-80s and the Oak Vista Cabinet Machines. This keeps out the harmful sun rays which otherwise discolor much merchandise.

Bob

Nice tip Bob.

Thanks.

Painting the back panels started with not having a colored panel to use for a sun block when needed, so I took a good panel and painted the inside only. After a while, some product scratched the paint making it to be visible from the outside ... so then began the practice of painting both sides, which has worked out well since. The major exception is that now the best panels are used for the front, the good ones for the sides and the back panel is chosen from the lot of panels not suitable for side or front use, then they're spray painted to suit the theme color.

Painting the "mushrooms" began when we had a bunch of them discolored, and with an old toll-free telephone number on them. We've honestly got some old venders on our routes which look as good as most new ones, and even better than a few new ones.

Bob

Bob,

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by Mushrooms? I have been wondering for quite some time now.

Hello Kyle,

Thanks for asking. Here is the Glossary for Vendors:

http://www.themainpage.com/Vending/Glossary.htm

By perusing it, you may learn not only what a "mushroom" is, but hopefully many other Vending terms and abbreviations.

Bob

It's actually a weight reducer,not an agitator.I use an additional larger weight reducer for vending 45 or 49mm balls.I believe it is a 6" that goes right on top of the existing weight reducer.The agitators are the springs.

Fred

It's actually a weight reducer,not an agitator.I use an additional larger weight reducer for vending 45 or 49mm balls.I believe it is a 6" that goes right on top of the existing weight reducer.The agitators are the springs.

Fred

Fred,

Technically you're right. The correct name is baffle or baffleplate, I include the weight reducing disk or "mushroom" to agitators as it serves much of the same purpose, which is to separate possible sticking together of product, subsequently aiding in the vending process. Many 2" capsule venders have had either a "mushroom" or a coiled wire agitator, and some have had both. IMO, those with both function best.

On some older machines the weight reducers which were in the machines when I bought them used, were two part ... a small tube and a plate, either round or square in shape.

Your thought for heaver items is good, too. We've been using two "mushrooms", for the same purpose. Just a slight added expense, but with excellent rewards.

Bob

Baffle Plate. I understand now, I have never heard it being called a mushroom before (Even tho they all look like a mushroom).

Also, just a tip Bob, referring to it as an agitator confused me. I was thinking the springs, or wheel, or brush housing. Once he mentioned a weight reducer, I knew exactly what you both were talking about.

I also bought some spray paint this morning Bob. I touched up a few machines, too.

Kyle

Baffle Plate. I understand now, I have never heard it being called a mushroom before (Even tho they all look like a mushroom).

Also, just a tip Bob, referring to it as an agitator confused me. I was thinking the springs, or wheel, or brush housing. Once he mentioned a weight reducer, I knew exactly what you both were talking about.

I also bought some spray paint this morning Bob. I touched up a few machines, too.

Kyle

Isn't our English language a wonderful means by which to communicate!? BTW, For painting vending machines, I've found that the least expensive spray paint works as well as some of the more expensive stuff. The important first step is removing all oils, dirt, etc., which is easily accomplished by washing the material to pe painted in the dishwasher, then drying it with a clean cotton cloth. We use worn wash-cloths.

Recently I bought a rack with four NW60s on it.  It all needed painting and touch up.  What a learning experience for me.  Believe it or not, I actually started painting the red bodies of the 60's right inside the storage building outside of my 10' x 15' compartment !  What a stupid move that was.  The entire length of the hallway stunk of spray paint.  And worse than that, the fine mist landed on the concrete floor 10 to 15 feet from where I was painting causing the concrete to look light red from a distance!!!!  You should have seen me limping up and down the hallway with a towel under my foot trying to rub off all the paint!  I am so lucky I did not get into trouble for that.

Your thought for heaver items is good, too. We've been using two "mushrooms", for the same purpose. Just a slight added expense, but with excellent rewards.

Bob

Yeah bob the two "mushrooms" do work great with heavy product. 

Recently I bought a rack with four NW60s on it.  It all needed painting and touch up.  What a learning experience for me.  Believe it or not, I actually started painting the red bodies of the 60's right inside the storage building outside of my 10' x 15' compartment !  What a stupid move that was.  The entire length of the hallway stunk of spray paint.  And worse than that, the fine mist landed on the concrete floor 10 to 15 feet from where I was painting causing the concrete to look light red from a distance!!!!  You should have seen me limping up and down the hallway with a towel under my foot trying to rub off all the paint!  I am so lucky I did not get into trouble for that.

At my shop I have a table set up outside that I do my painting on.  Also remeber that spray paint does have an explosive limit on it.  So be careful doing it inside around electrical equipment or open flames.  I have seen it happen to many times, it will ignite.  And yes overspray can be a mess!

My "shop" consists of a table that I can place outside behind my apartment complex. The one time I've spray painted my machines I had to wait for excellent weather so as to not have the machine be windblown with sand or rained on. It all worked out for the best, but I still wish I had a "workshop". Someday... :P

I actually paint indoors.

Kyle

Kyle, amap, paint outside. Fumes from spray paint are toxic, and can affect the lungs, brain tissue, etc. The convenience of doing it inside isn't worth the price that may have to be ultimately paid.

Bob