Starting an LLC

Hi guys

I want to file an LLC for my business. I thought I read somewhere that you can just go right to the IRS website and file this for cheaper. Any advice on how to do this properly? I was going to use legal zoom.

I filed an LLC through LegalZoom, and their service works very well!  If you don't want to spend the money on LegalZoom, you can file the paperwork yourself, but it would really be a pain.

LLCs are not filed with the IRS; they're filed with your state.  In Georgia, for example, you file with the Corporations Division of the Secretary of State.

You will eventually need to file with the IRS to get an EIN (Employer ID Number) even if you don't plan on hiring employees.  This EIN allows you to open business bank accounts and set up a sales tax account.  You can file for an EIN online yourself for free, so don't use LegalZoom's EIN package!  Not only can you do it yourself, but you get the number as soon as you finish the questionnaire.  Don't forget that LLCs "pass-through" their income to the members, so every April you need to report its earnings on your return.  You'll also need to file a 1065 in April.

This is really the most annoying part of the start-up process - it's mostly waiting.  I filed with LegalZoom on 23 Jun 2015 and I'm waiting on all my paperwork to return.  They are kind enough to send the Certificate of Organization ahead of time so you can get started.  Now I'm waiting on a business license.

Good luck!

Archived