How to fight the big boys

Nick Danger

Folks - some of the most choice locations in my area are already "taken" by a really big company.  Starts with an S, ends with odexho.  For instance, they do all food services, including vending, for the hospital here...and one of the major companies...and the university.  Has anyone ever broken through their wall successfully???

One of the big boys in my area is American Vending, but with alot of work we were able to push them out of two locations owned by the same company, its not gonna be easy. First thing you need to do at a location is make sure you talk to the person that decides on the vendors, they will tell you when the current contract runs out and when you can bid, being small has helped me alot, my prices stay low which in turn the location employees love, I just got 2 locations, one in a 50 person office and another in a 125 worker nursing home, just takes time and alot of footwork

NickDanger,

Here is how I approach a location regardless of who the vendor is.....

First...... do some research, go to the target location (if allowed) and look at appearance, cleanliness of machines,cost of products, etc ...etc.. Take notes

Second...... make a phone call to the location and see who handles the vending contract and set up a time to meet with them so you can present a proposal.

Third..... create a proposal for this location on good paper with a binder, be very precise on how you will handle all facets of the operation down to what chemicals you will use to clean the machines with and at what frequency(Hospitals require this information and must be a sanitizer-anti bacterial formula)

Fourth......(in proper business attire as you are representing your company) meet with them and present your proposal, at some point ask for a minute of their time to do a walk through so that you can explain how you will be different from the big boy and to listen to their expectations in regards to pricing ...commission etc. In my opinion this walk is crucial as you are able to get some one on one time with them and make it more personal....Don't be afraid to bring your notes from step one and what you seen when you did your first visit  (if you were able to). This will give you a chance to get some information from them that you can use later if you are passed over and will also show that you did your homework prior to coming in. If this last step is done correctly and you create a good impression on the individual you spoke with, making the crucial follow up call will be easy as they will remember your professionalism .... 

Hope this helps....

Brian

• 6 months later...

Hi, I just read this post.  I have a lot of years in this business, working with a lot of accounts but this brief step by step guide for new vendors is great.  I just wanted to give you a tip of the hat.

Blue Moose

www.bluemoosevendmgt.com

Brian,

Since I am a newbie, what would be the proper type of cleanser to use and how often should you be cleaning the machines?  Is there any way to tell if they have been properly cleansed in the past?  Also, do you try to 'run down' your competition's old machines?  What do you say on your walk through if they have brand, new, well serviced machines already in place there?   

Brian

I think he is talking about using some Windex on the glass, buttons, etc.  Once a year you might use car wax on the outside areas, side areas.  It really shines up a machine.  Once in awhile clean out the delivery area.  It can get sticky which might prevent cans or bottles from coming all the way out the shoot.  If the machine is outside you really need to work at keeping it clean.  Each visit, clean, clean, clean.  Always wipe out your coin mech but do not use any cleanser in that area.  Just run a clean dry rag along the flip inside the mech.  Also wipe off the coin slot.  Use only silicone spray if necessary.  A lot of vendors run those alcohol cleaning strips thru the validator each visit.

Hope this helps.

Blue Moose

Brian,

Since I am a newbie, what would be the proper type of cleanser to use and how often should you be cleaning the machines?  Is there any way to tell if they have been properly cleansed in the past?  Also, do you try to 'run down' your competition's old machines?   What do you say on your walk through if they have brand, new, well serviced machines already in place there?    

Brian

WillisNYC,

Blue Moose pretty much covered it in regards to the cleaning. I use an antibacterial cleaner and clean my units at every service. I don't try to rundown my competitors I just tell the new location what I have seen and how my company can do it better be it (maintenance,service,products,commission,etc). Regarding your last question you wouldn't be there if they were happy with the current vendor its your job to find out why. Look at each account as a puzzle and try to figure out in a short amount of time what it will take to acquire the account based on the information you have obtained to complete the puzzle. Sell them on the facts and not on fiction or pie in the sky promises, basically just be honest. Hope this helps!

Hi, I just read this post.  I have a lot of years in this business, working with a lot of accounts but this brief step by step guide for new vendors is great.  I just wanted to give you a tip of the hat.

Blue Moose

www.bluemoosevendmgt.com

Thanks Blue Moose much appreciated!