Self Locating

Gerald

Hello All,

I am still in the process of researching the bulk vending business so I dont have any machines yet but I was wondering if its realistic to think I could self locate 10 Machines a day. I figured if i just kept at it all day then maybe I could do it. Then do the same thing the next day and the next until I had them all located. Is this pie in the sky thinking? All coments welcome! 

Gerald, welcome to Vendiscuss!

I would say that it is possible, but be prepared to hit a lot of locations.  If you are in a place with many businesses, etc, I think that you can do it.  Do not get discouraged by the "no's" because there will be lots of them.  Also, be careful not to buy machines that are overpriced when sold new from Biz-Ops like buzz bites, vendstar, etc.  Look on Ebay and craigslist for good deals on used machines.

Welcome to the board. You don't say if this is going to be part time or full time? Can you fill out your location and such in your profile so we get a better idea about you? It is not out of the question like Gabe said. You might want to draw up sections of your area to concentrate on. Figure out how far out you want to drive and work back from there. I would think in terms of how many routes you will set up to do in a day. Say you want to only service 15 a day then try to get them all in one area then move to another part of town for the next group.

Gabe and Beer980,

Thanks for the info. If I do it it will be full time and I will service as many locations as I possibly can in one day. It would be nice if I could get some realistic opinions on how many that is (for a motivated guy).

Gerald

Gabe and Beer980,

Another question. If I do this I will give it my best effort to go full time maybe starting out with 250-300 machines and growing as soon as possible. But how do I buy used machines when you can only buy a few at a time. Should I be looking to do a combo. Maybe some used and the rest new? And if so how much do you think is a fair price for new?

If you plan on starting with that many machines, you may get a little overwhelmed Gerald.  Look on craigslist and post an ad saying that you are in search of a lot of machines, or a route that's for sale.  You may get some responses.  Also, if there are machines already in locations, leave a note in the coinbox asking if they are interested in selling the route.

You can do a combination of used and new, but just keep track of whick keys go with which machines.  I think what I would do is try to find people who are selling large groups of machines, and keep growing slowly.  Maybe buy 20 machines from Person "A" and maybe 2 months later you find a deal for 50 machines from person "B", and so on.  This way you won't get overwhelmed with so many machines at once.

Here are some I found (not sure if they are close to you or not) but It may be a good way to get your feet wet.  Try throwing a lowball offer like $50 per double head.  The worst he can do is say no. 

http://kpr.craigslist.org/bfs/975530843.html

PS: feel free to ad your city or county if you would like Gerald.  It might make it easier for us to send you links for machines that are for sale around your area. 

http://spokane.craigslist.org/bfs/999924762.html

Gerald, here is another link that sounds like it has real potential!  It comes out to about $134 per machine.  See if you can contact him and find out: What kind of machines they are, how old, what his gross profit is, and if he will go lowwer on his price.

And another:  http://spokane.craigslist.org/bfs/988267144.html

That sounds like good information. I had not checked craigs list yet only ebay. Basically what your saying is if I am self locating I probably wont need all of the machines at once so I might be able to find a lot of the machines used. Sounds like a good plan. How many do you think I can place if i spend most of the day each day for a month straight?

When I started out I had 38 to place. I made it a point to place 4 a weeek until they were all out. If I got 1 Mon-Thur then I didn't have to do it after work on Friday. I found I could get 2 out in 1/2 a day during the last 1/2 of Dec when I wasn't working my full time job. By the time I had all 38 out I was relieved! If I had 50-250 more in a storage place somewhere I definately would have been overwhelmed. If that was all you did 5 would be really doable 10 is possible but you'd have to be moving! My advise like the others start out in groups of 10-30 to make sure this is really what you want to do.

Wow! Thank you. It looks like maybe I have been to optimistic. Its just if I am going to do this I sort of need to do it soon and push it hard or I need to look for other work. Right now I have some extra cash and a lot of time but if I dont act soon I will have nothing but bills to pay with nothing to pay them. I personally have never worked a regular job I have always ran my fathers business for him but he passed away and his business could not pass to me. So lately I have been thinking wow can I actually work for someone else? Just the thought of it kills me so here I am contemplating the vending business. I appreciate the advice you guys are giving me.

I know what you mean about working for someone else. I can't do it anymore. You may want some other opinions but the vending busines you will need to invest time and money into it for awhile until you can start using it as a source of income. I'm sure you can generate enough money quickly to start bringing in spendable income, but you'd probably have to finance it and start out fairly large.

Best of luck.

If you need to grow large and fast then you need to hit Craigslist or look in the papaers locally. Find a 50 or 100 locations route and then start to get smaller chunks to locate yourself. That way you have some money flowing in and can devote more time to locating. Don't be afraid to run the deals by us in the Bulk Vending area for our take and tell us as much as possible about the deal.