Increase Your Sales with Dixie Cups

westlakevending

Hello Everyone,

Well, I let a few people know about my secret so i thought i would share it with the rest of you. I go to sams a buy a sleeve of the small dixie cups for 8.00. Each cup breaks down to be a penny. I will but 25 cups on at each stop. They work out great for customers wanting to spend more than on quarter but not wanting a hand full of choc. candy. I have increase my sales by 20% at each stop. I have 25 on each one so that I can see the amount that is selling by the cups. I check all of my stops every 3 weeks so i can get a good measurement.

Just thought i would let you know

shawn 

Thanks for that, Shawn.  I have read about this, but had a burning question:  Where do you actually put the cups!?   Do you just set them upside down on top of the machine?  Do you put a dispenser on the side of the machine?  Seems like 25 cups would be awfully unstable on a round globe :)

Thanks.

-Lucero

westlakevending wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Well, I let a few people know about my secret so i thought i would share it with the rest of you. I go to sams a buy a sleeve of the small dixie cups for 8.00. Each cup breaks down to be a penny. I will but 25 cups on at each stop. They work out great for customers wanting to spend more than on quarter but not wanting a hand full of choc. candy. I have increase my sales by 20% at each stop. I have 25 on each one so that I can see the amount that is selling by the cups. I check all of my stops every 3 weeks so i can get a good measurement.

Just thought i would let you know

shawn 

I was wondering about the cups too I would love to do this , but I am concered that they will not get used for what we want them used for.  Such as my salons where kids tend to go free while mommy gets a hair cut they might just make a mess with them and upset the location owner ? 

Re CUps:

First off i use oak vista machines. I place the cups upside down bottoms up on the top of each lid. 25 is a stable amount. You may want to put more cups depending on your location. I took the number of quarters per stop and added 10 and thats my real cup numbers on my stops I just put the 25 as an example. The cups are light weight and ive never had any problems except if a location runs out the owners ask me to make sure they stay filled up.

Shawn

This has been brought up before. Here were my comments on this in a previous post.

This is something that I have suggested on other forums as well. I do this and it helps depending on the location. If you have a location frequented by females it will really help you. Females aren't much for eating out of their hands in public. Example would be a hair salon.

Another great place to use cups is anywhere that the customer would have to eat the product somewhere else. For example in an office environment where the workers would like to bring a snack back to their desk.

Cups also increase repeat sales as customers realize "Hey I got this empty cup and a quarter! Hmmmm"

Cups also increase multiple sales at once. If a customer is given a cup, he or she will be more likely to fill it with more than 1 quarters worth.

On the down side, you have to be diligent in your efforts to keep the location clean. You don't want your location owner to have to be picking up your cups all day.

Steve

• 3 months later...

I still don't get the cup placement. (Yea I'm digging this up from the past). 

You just put them on top of the machine?

Don't they blow off?  Fall to the floor etc?

Would a home mod be a better idea where you had some type of cardboard holding the cups in place attached to the machine?

Westlakevending >>  I will be collecting on Thursday and I have not seen my sales raise from the cups :huh:  Maybe it was the time of year ?  Or maybe the size of the dixie they are three ounces ?  I got the dixie at gordans food market witch I call them ramakins I paid I think under $6 for 200 .  When I run out I will go get the bigger ones to see if that helps !

I can't vouch for the increased sales because I started using them from the start. I do not use them with the DI machine for obvious reasons but use them on my others. I just put them on the top of the machine but someone here has found a dispenser for them that they attatched to the side of the machine. My Sam's Club has the 3oz 600ct Dixie for $6.50 a bag. You can also get the 2oz 2000ct plastic portion cups for $20.50. I may switch to the plastic portion cups because the 3oz seems to be too large for the portion that vends. They are just a hair cheaper then the 3oz paper Dixie so over time it will save a little money. The theory seems valid though. I would opt for the paper ones if you place in a factory or office location to encourage a multiple sale and then they return the cup to their desk to snack on.

I have been running Dixie cups almost from day one because the idea made a whole lot of sense to me.  Although I can't compare my numbers to running without the cups, I can tell you they get used plenty.  I have the 5oz 450ct from Costco.  I am considering buying a smaller size next time.  It takes about 5 vends to fill the sucker up.  I'm guessing the cup might boost sales to two vends, less frequently three per customer, but the 5 is definitely overkill.

Plus, I use the dixie cup to hand the owner a scoop of candy.  If it's the 5oz, I have to fill it more.  I know some people prefer handing them the change, but I don't like the situation of directing them to go use the machine, or just leaving after giving it to them and hoping it ends up in the machine, should they be busy.  Cups!

-Lucero

Walmart has dixie cup dispensers for about $4.00. One side is 3 oz the other is 5oz, I used heavy duty double sided tape to fasten it to the top of the machine. It has been on there for 6 weeks or so and hasn't been yanked off yet. This is in a restaurant with a gameroom and it did pretty good last month.

You can do it cheaper then buying a dixie cup dispencor.  There is an example of this in the forum Sweet I think came up with this one.  Use double sided tape a bigger cup tape it to the top and put the smaller dixies in it .  You can even write a note on the bigger cup that says Have a treat and have a nice day !