Keep bugs away!

KM

I just started a vending route and made my first round.  In 2 of the machines, I found moths in the peanut M&M's in an auto mechanic garage.  I also found worms from some flies that had got into the peanut M&M's of another location.

I've heard of nuts having bug problems...but why peanut M&M's?  I'm wondering if there is any good way to deter the bugs from getting into the product?

I know this is sort of a gross topic, but still a concern for business.  What is the best way to keep pests away?  I'm wondering if it would help if I tape a moth stick or something underneath the machine where no one can see, or hopefully not smell it.  Anyone have tips?

Quite a few operators have been having issues with moths in their peanuts and PMM. Being organic, nut material is prone to having a certain amount of pests in it. They are harmless and usually go un-noticed because nuts are eaten rather quickly. However, in our business they are left around a lot longer in an environment that is conducive to hatching and growing. A warm, stagnant vending globe!

I have heard several reports that the best way to combat this is to freeze all your nut material for 24 hours before putting them in a machine. This supposedly kills off the remaining eggs before they have a chance to hatch and gross out your potential customers.

If all else fails you can change your 25 cent mech to a 50 cent mech and put a sign on your machine that says something like "Pet Moths, 50 cents!"

Steve

Does freezing crack the PM&M shell?

I would imagine that it would. Both heat and cold will cause expansion and cause the shells to crack somewhat.

You just have to consider the alternative. Do you want to sell cracked PMM or live moths?

Thanks for all the suggestion guys.  I would much rather have cracked PMM than moths.  The bugs in the candy turn off the owner and often ask to have the machine taken away....I want to avoid that.

So, some people think the moths are actually from the peanutes themselves?  Wow, never thought of that!

Could just quit selling PMM's. :)

wrote: [/b]

[user=15]KPower]Does freezing crack the PM&M shell?

I would imagine that it would. Both heat and cold will cause expansion and cause the shells to crack somewhat.

You just have to consider the alternative. Do you want to sell cracked PMM or live moths?

• Like 1

So it looks like no one has actually tried the freezing PMM thing??? I'll try it and let you guys know!

David

I just put a half a bag in the freezer................:?:(

Will they be OK? What will become of the candy coating? Will my freezer be OK?

stay tuned for tomorrows post...............

P.S. Hey Steve I cracked up (no pun intended) at the "50 cent Pet Moths" thing that was great!!!

They sell well but my cost in spoiled product has been higher than what I'm making with them.

AHHH I see! That stinks.

I just put a half a bag in the freezer................:?:(

Will they be OK? What will become of the candy coating? Will my freezer be OK?

stay tuned for tomorrows post...............

I'm tuned in, Let me know what you find.

Steve

Ok,

So far so good!  No Cracks! But I will let you know what happens when they warm back up to room temp.................................

David

Update, I put half in the fridge to "thaw" slowly and half on the kitchen counter to "thaw" more quickly.

This is an official Vendiscuss lab assignment. Hey Steve can I get some kind of credit hours for this?? Or how about a cheesy award!!!:D

The final results are in!    NO CRACKS!!!!!!!!!!

And still taste great too!!

*This experiment was conducted in a controlled environment. Davidsurvz can only testify to the results of this experiment. Actual field conditions may vary and may produce different results. Always wear safety glasses and follow manufacturers instructions.:D

*This experiment was conducted in a controlled environment. Davidsurvz can only testify to the results of this experiment. Actual field conditions may vary and may produce different results. Always wear safety glasses and follow manufacturers instructions.:D

You forgot...

...Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt.

I have over 1,000 4 product machines with PMM's in all but 3 or 4. Several have PMM's in 2 of the four hoppers. Over the last year I am aware of moths in the PMM's one time, and there were dry roasted peanuts in an adjacent hopper that also had moths.

Don't shoot yourself in the foot by not offering PMM's. They account for over 50% of my sales and 13 other products share the other 50%.

I believe the moth problem is with Dry Roasted Peanuts. I offer Cashews, Pistacio Meats, Mixed nuts, and formerly Virginia large peanuts. I had zero problems with moths until I started using dry roasted peanuts. Even then I have only had a dozen or so complaints out of over 400 locations with peanuts.

I think the problem is primarily in sunny locations, but I plan to experiment with freezing and do more research before next summer gets hot. I had lots of problems with the Virginia Peanuts being too oily in the bottom of the hopper, and getting rancid in the heat.

The final results are in!    NO CRACKS!!!!!!!!!!

And still taste great too!!

Thanks David, that's a great experiment.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to freeze the product after all.  I've been so paranoid after I had to pull a machine due to bugs that I've quarantined all of my leftover candy in my fridge.  I wouldn't want to take a chance of storing the candy and having something crawl and grow into it either.

I'm ready to do my second service in about 3 weeks.  Hope all the candy is ok and hoping to see LOTS of quarters!!!  Good luck to you all.:D

• 4 months later...

This is funny because I have been putting all my candy in the garage and we are parinoid (sp? no time to look up) of the PMM.   We keep making sure the door is closed.    I did not want them to freeze.  Choc turns funny when it gets warmed up.

HUMMMMMM:?