Nutz going bad !

Tiffeney

I have a couple of bars that have nuts in the vendstar's that I use I just filled these up with cashue's around Aug. 15 , 07  .  One of my bars said that it seemed as that they where stale !:?  O.k..... so I replaced the cashues and tryied them myself they seemed fine to me.  Then a day or so later my husband's friend tryed the nutz out of our machine at a different location and said the same thing !  I went back threw my notes and noticed that some sales have went down with the cashues at other locations :? so could it be that they went bad already ?  I thought that the canistirs were sealed tight enough to protect the nuts from going stale so fast ? 

Run away from Cashews Tiff! They will end up costing you. I know others have done well with them but for the most part they are just too damn expensive to fool with.

I thought that the canistirs were sealed tight enough to protect the nuts from going stale so fast ? 

Very few machines do this and there is a premium for them. Most machines are not sealed at all. There is a post from someone on here, I don't remember who, but they knew of a machine that was sealed air tight. Anyone remember that post? Think about it because there may be another contest coming up soon, I'm itching to give away another machine!

Steve

• 1 month later...

I have 3 locations with cashew and furtuntely they all do great so my nuts don`t go bad.

I do have to tweak my settings as I think they give to much per vend.

I am switching out canisters so I can wash the old one and bring in new canisters  set down from 6  to 5 on my u turn

A friend of mine who owns Vendstar machines said the same thing about the cashews tasting stale but he thought they were fine. The complaints seemed to be in the summer months when the heat and humidity were very high. He thinks that the when the cashews get a little soft from the heat and humidity  the customers think that they are stale so they do not buy them even though they are not stale.

I have several Vendstar machines that vend cashews and I haven't had any complaints. In the summer months when it is hot and humid I fill the machines up about half way and service the locations more often to avoid complaints, loss of sales and loss of product. Seems to work for now. The customers have not complained so far and are very happy with the product and service provided. There are plenty  of quarters in the machines so I feel that they are getting a fast turn around at these locations. 

After servicing the bar how many days or weeks passed before the customer complained?

I put them in the machine fresh out of the box on Aug. 14 then around Oct. 7 the bartender said a customer said they where stale did ask how long ago since I check the machine two weeks before and nobody said a thing .  It was hot up here , but that bar is very dark and cool inside.

I have cachews and salted peanuts in a few of my machines and I check them each month and they seem fine. I use 1800 machines and they don't seem to be sealed up any better than the next.

One thing you may have to watch out for is rotating the product when you add new stock. You will have to let them empty out or else the older product could contaminate the new product.(With any of our products, it is hard to tell what is old and what is new). It all looks the same...

The other thing is sunlight. It will kill your product in a couple of hours.

Finally, If they smoke in the bar the smoke could be getting in to the machine and fouling the product.

Gary

http://www.westcoast-vend.com

Most bulk machines do a poor job of sealing when it comes to keeping nuts fresh,  one option is to cut out a piece of rubber and line the opening of the machine, kinda like a gasket seal.  Another thing that can not only help to keep them fresh but also increase sales of nuts in Taverns is to keep a warming light, nothing really hot - just enough so that when the person eats them they are slightly warm - most people seem to think they taste better this way.

Abbadox

Great idea Abbadox.

is to keep a warming light, nothing really hot - just enough so that when the person eats them they are slightly warm - most people seem to think they taste better this way.

Here are some instructions on how to convert a regular machine into a nut warmer machine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hot-Nut-Bulk-Vending-Instructions-Make-Your-Own-Machine_W0QQitemZ200175614479QQihZ010QQcategoryZ50939QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Steve