New Member from California

trevordahl

I will be retiring next year and I need to keep myself busy. I am researching the bulk vending business and would like some guidence on where to look for machine manufacturers, costs involved in this type of business, and overall general do's and don'ts associated with this business. Any help would be most appreciated.

Trevor Dahl

Carlsbad, CA

Trevor, welcome to Vendiscuss!

Bulk vending is an excellent way to keep you busy while making a little money.  For general do's and dont's all you have to do is check out all of the past posts here on vendiscuss.  the "Vending 101" section will be very helpfull.  Make yourself at home and feel free to ask any questions.

Don't load up on brand new 8 way terminators :)

Do post anything you are thinking of buying and ask if it is a good deal. We will answer honestly. Do not use random locators. We have a review section, the vast majority of locators are scum. There are few who are excellent resources to help you grow your business. That is why we have the review section.

Do not buy a mistake. When someone else massively overpays for a terrible machine, don't let their "starting price" make you feel a responsibility to bail them out.

There is a couple of us on here from the SD area. We are ruthless down here! JK. I've worked out deals with other vendors where if I find a location in south bay or North county we have traded locations if they are geographically desirable for both parties to do so. Study study and get out there. There are plenty of opportunities in this county.

I have concluded this is the #1 place to go for all questions. Even though I currently reside in the North San Diego County area, I am more looking at the Colorado River stretch from Blythe north. We have a home out along the River and plan to retire there next year. I am using this time now to do major research on viability of certain machines, and businesses.

I have talked with the U-Turn people and will be talking with Super Pro Vending soon. I have concluded already that the U-Turn program is way too expensive to begin with, and based on viewing Craigs list and other sites, used U-Turns are not selling much over $100.

Any pros and cons for the DI program with Super Pro Vending?

Looking forward to the next few months accumilating info to make an intelligent decision.

Trevor

Trevor,

Welcome to the forum. I'm in Arizona but come to California on a regular basis to buy machines. You are in a great state to find deals on whatever you want. Shop craigslist and look here in the forum under "Shop and Swap" section.

I have some U Turns and they like all machines have good and bad points. I would buy some more even though I wouldn't want to many as they take longer to service. One of the main compliants is they hold too much candy and the candy can spoil as most locations can't support them. If you have an 8 select then you can put in capsules with toys rather than candy to solve that issue. I rather like the 8 select for that reason but a real pain to collect your quarters and fill cannisters.

If I can be of any help feel free to pm me. The last word from me is never buy new - always used!

nam

Trevor,

I'm in the Phoenix area. Your area is unique in that it isn't a very big population and further between other towns than normal. And those towns aren't very big either. lol The advantage is people are usually nicer in smaller towns and more receptive to listening to you as they won't have as many saleman calling on them. I'd try making the most of the locations you get as you won't have as many there as you would living further east or west. We're both also gonna need some big coolers and more ice packs than the rest of these guys no doubt.   :cool:

nam

Nam,

That's what I am looking forward to; living in a smaller community and get away from the big city. We have had a place out here for over four years and absolutely love it. When we retire, I won't need much to live on, but I do need to stay busy. This business fits the bill. It looks like my biggest expense in this business will be big coolers and ice packs. Still doing a lot of research and due dilegence. Was wondering how the licensing is handled in each of the cities? Will be checking with each of the Cities to get what they require. Any info on this would be helpful.

Thanks,

Gary,

Yes San Diego is a great place to live. Been here over 20 years, raised two kids, have three grandkids now, but looking forward to slowing down next year at our place north of Blythe. I was wondering if you have any of the U-Turns and or DI machines placed in the market that I can take a visual look at? Again, I am not looking to start up here in San Diego. I just need to see these machines first hand. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks