Midwest vs. Kickstart

alyssamma

OK, this is only from my personal experience, but here goes...

I am trying to be neutral and simply report facts...

We've purchased 20 machines from Midwest. We've actually been able to place an additional 2 at those locations on our own, so we technically have 22 machines from Midwest with only paying to locate 20. All of these machines are triples. We've been using Midwest since August 08.

We've purchased 10 machines from Kickstart. All triples. We've been using Kickstart since Feb 09.

For Midwest, we received all new locations quickly - within 2 weeks. We had to replace approx. 50%. The relocations were slow and we just got the last ones this month. We waited close to 2mo for the last batch. NOTE - we found out later that the owner and two employees at Midwest are all having family problems (deaths and serious illnesses). So this is a little understandable.

For Kickstart we received the new locations slowly. It took about a month to get everything. For free we were only allowed to replace 3 (30% of 10). If we used Midwest's scale (anything less than $15) we would have replaced 5 - 50%. The same % we needed to replace for Midwest. However, since we could only do 3 that was all we did. We are still waiting for 2 locations to be replaced. We have been waiting 2 weeks so far and expect to have to wait another week for the last 2 replacements.

Our Midwest locations tend to be corporate - mostly breakrooms/kitchens of restaurants. Our Kickstart locations tend to be apartments and auto shops.

Our avg Midwest monthly $ amount is $27.38. For Kickstart it is $19.77 (excluding the ones to be replaced - it would be much lower otherwise). For comparision, machines we've placed avg $18.03 and machines on a route we bought avg $12.78 (I know...we were just starting out :) ). So, both locators do better than we've been able to do on our own, although Midwest does much better.

As a side note, the high Midwest avg made it very easy to wait for replacements. Even with poorly performing locations, the overall avg was higher than the national so I was happy.

For communication, every time I've picked up the phone I've reached Midwest. There has never been a time I've not been able to reach them. For Kickstart, I've never been able to reach them on the phone. Via email I sometimes get an immediate response, but just as often need to wait 1-2 days to get a response.

With Midwest, we had one location rejected once we got there (out of the initial 20 + approx 10 replacements). For Kickstart we had:

- One wrong location given to us (the correct location was later given and they took the machine)

- One location given that didn't exist

- One location that didn't want the machine

I am trying to negotiate with both Kickstart and Midwest for a large order (50 machines). I won't post the specifics of the deals here as I'm not sure that would be fair to either company. However, I will say that Kickstart gave an amazing price but wanted full payment up front before locations were secured. Midwest gave a discount and would split the order into 5 groups of 10, paying for 50% (i.e., 5) upfront and the remaining (5) after locations were secured. After all 50 are paid for they will apply a discount.

OK, that is my experience. As stated I've tried not to draw conclusions or to do any analysis. If anyone wants that I would be happy to reply via PM.

Thx.

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin,

Thank you for such an objective presentation.  Opinions are too often plentiful...facts scarce.  I, too, have had good luck with Midwest.  However, I am always open to new avenues and your post has given me valuable  information.

Thanks again,

Stan

• 1 month later...

I have encounter many issue's with KickStart...There hasn't been one time I haven't had to re-sell an account myself...I was under the impression that hiring a locator would be removed for this from the equation...Why am I paying you? The owners not knowing about you coming in is only one issue; you go in looking like a jerk and a cold caller...Oh did I mention when you go in these owners think they are getting a chunk of your profits...Humm, why did I hire this fellow again? Isn't he supposed to remove this from the locating service fee? Here it is May and I'm currently waiting for relocation’s which were paid for last DEC 08’...I see now I will probably never collect on my relocations and not even get a refund via pay pal. Therefore I want anyone considering Mr. Patterson to take a long read at this post and go elsewhere with their hard earned money.

For those with a positive experience you’re lucky, kudo’s for you! I am use to rejection so it doesn’t bother me one bit. What does bother me is that when people don’t speak English, the so called contact doesn’t work there, the owner thinks they getting a slice of your pie, owner is never available when state 12-3pm, you confront the locator & they apologize but never produce results for their mistakes!

Thank you KickStart!:P