Coin Counters - Equipment Review/Discussion

BudLeiser

I once made the mistake of buying the little brown round coin counter used off ebay. The kind you pay nothing for in a walmart. Just has a 9V battery in the bottom, and it;s all plastic. It didn't do a thing for me. What I really want to know is what coin counters are good at spitting out OLD coins. You know back in the day when money was real. I know a lot of people here just take them to local banks that have coin counters, but I'd hate to miss out on all those $3 quarters and $1 dimes. Feel free to post what you use, how much you paid for it, and what you think about its quality and longevity.

I use several machines but none will sort out the old coins. That's just something you'll have to watch for as you're working with the coins.

I have a Klopp non electric that is nice when there is no convienent spot to plug in an electric model. These are extremely good quality and will last forever. Very expensive and might want to buy used.

I also have a Semacon S35 electric which I love and use the most. It is a fantastic machine that counts those quarters and shoots them into the rolls so fast it will make you laugh. Again, very expensive and maybe you can find one on Ebay or Craigslist.

I also use a Happ electric similar to the Semacon S35 and in fact I would bet money Semacon made it for them. It too is an excellent machine that can count them out just like the Semacon but is a little less expensive.

I would recommend you stay away from the Royal plastic machine as I've bought a couple three of those and they don't work nearly as well and gave me alot of problems.

Buy a quality machine from Ebay or Craiglist just like you would a vending machine. You can buy a like new machine for half or less of the new priced ones. Type in Semacon coin counter in the search area of Ebay. You will find a factory ad and can watch videos of the machines working, etc. so you'll see how they work. Very informative if you haven't seen one run.

nam

There's gotta be something that is better at kicking back old coins than others. They don't weigh the same, sound the same, they might not even be the exact same width. Someone once gave me a silver quarter cause it wouldn't work in the pop machine. Somewhere out there is a coin counter that spits em out.

I didn't know the weight would be different. Of course there are scales to weight the coins and this could pick up a difference. Seems like a pretty time consuming method of search for coins. Defeats the main purpose of the machine which is speed.

nam

I didn't know the weight would be different. Of course there are scales to weight the coins and this could pick up a difference. Seems like a pretty time consuming method of search for coins. Defeats the main purpose of the machine which is speed.

nam

*shakes head* no that would indeed be terrible as one could eyeball a stack of coins faster than weighing. But with a weight difference present a sophisticated coin counter could spit out abnormalities. Same goes with the sound, if it were to drop onto a metal plate attached to a small mic and chip, it could kick out coins based on the frequency they generate when hitting the plate.

Type in Semacon coin counter in the search area of Ebay. You will find a factory ad and can watch videos of the machines working, etc. so you'll see how they work. Very informative if you haven't seen one run.

nam

Great tip nam, thanks. Would you happen to know (ballpark) what the reserve might be on the S-25?

Scott

Scott,

What I did was go through the feedback and look at the items sold to see what they had sold for. I bought mine new from them myself and that is how I came up with a close number on what the reserve must be. It is fairly high.

nam

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Haven't found any that sort out old coins, but a good reliable coin sorter is probably a cash tech I have seen several and I have never seen a broken one

Haven't found any that sort out old coins, but a good reliable coin sorter is probably a cash tech I have seen several and I have never seen a broken one

• 10 months later...

I have a Cassida ( canadian ) It is now my best friend,counting my dimes,nickels,quarters,loonies and toonies without making mistakes,I bring it to locations with a commission sometimes,best 300$ I ever spent

Edited by vinceqc