Contracts?

I've been reading some horror stories about people losing their machines when business' close and such.  Does that mean that nobody uses contracts??  I was thinking a simple laymans term one that state the machine was mine in their space would be good.

~Amall

Amall,

I believe that contracts just scare away locations if we are talking about Bulk Vending.  Put yourself in their shoes:

If you were the manager at a location and you approve a machine, then the DM comes and tells you to "get it out", what would you do if you signed a contract?  It is just to much risk.  However some vendors use contracts.

As far as Full-Line goes, contracts are the norm since you really don't want to be dragging those heavy things everywhere. 

Contracts of any kind are only as good as the people involved who honor them.I can guarantee you,when a business is closing, the last thing on the owners mind (if at all)is that gum/candy machine (which he doesn't even own)sitting in the corner.Unfortunately business closings are just another part of our "doing business."

I wasn't thinking a contract that involves a length of time, just acknowledgment of property.

But like you said, Islander, it would be the last thing on their mind. And with a business card inside the machine and me holding the key there isn't too much to argue about.

• 4 weeks later...

I used a contract for my first few locations, but decided that I didn't want the owners thinking to much about weather they wanted the hassle of reading & signing a contract.  I know it's a risk, but most business have bigger things on their minds.  If they close the business, you still don't have anyone to talk to.  If they are open & they tell you to take it out, I would rather remove the machine than debate some agreement the owner/manager signed.

• 11 months later...

Even if you have a  signed contract it seems like you would have to really cover every angle regarding placement and competing machines to make it usefull. Theoretically, they could sign a basic contract and then decide to stick it in the broom closet depending on how it was worded. I would think with bulk vending it would be easier to just move on than to try enforcing a contract. 

Just my uneducated opinion. LOL