Guide to refurbishing machines (with PICTURES)

lurtsman

This thread will hopefully serve as the posting grounds for a guide on refurbishing machines. We have several people who know how to do it, and I'm not one of them. My refurbishing is mostly just washing.

I recall seeing a refurbed super 80 on here in black and thinking "I want to buy that!". I've now purchased several used and neglected machines. They are in serious need of a revamp before I put them out on location. Paint is pealing off, and rust is showing. (but at less than 5$/pop for oaks, can you blame me? Deal found by Nam)

Seeing the beauty that could be restored gave me hope that I could learn, and make these old machines shine like beauties once again. I believe effective refurbishing allows for a much greater RoI because many run down and neglected machines are available for pennies on the dollar.

I welcome anyone to bring in their ideas, understanding that I plan to use these ideas to improve my profits. When I'm done, hopefully this thread will end up in vending 101.

Monday is delivery day for the rest of the 24 old machines + old racks. It may take me a while to get this done, as I will have several new second hand machines also. (gotta love oak vistas still in the wrapping) My first priority will be getting the new machines out on location. Then I will use the advice from this thread to refurbish the machines, taking pictures as I go. Then I can post each step, accompanied by the picture -- will probably need steve to insert them for me, I'll use a camera phone to keep it low resolution.

The major problems for these machines are:

Rusted center pole

Rusted stand

Rust on some parts of the machine, such as around the area where the globe touches down.

Pealing paint near the bottom, around the globe, and inside the globe around the candy wheel housing.

Stickers stuck to the globe, in some cases there is masking tape that appears to be baked on by years in the sun (as best as I can tell--this is more an issue with some other machines I'm repairing, but I need to be able to fix it)

Tiny problems are:

The plastic feet that go around the bottom of the racks may be coming apart (1 definitively is). I plan to solve that by putting a piece of electrical tape around it.

The globes have a dingy look to them, perhaps just from being old.

The strengths are:

To the best of my knowledge all the coin mechs work (they said that all of them did)

All metal housing

Quality manufacturer

Black should be a convient color scheme for refurbishing.

To the best of my knowledge, they have keys for all the locks

The guidelines are:

Bandaid fixes are excellent. The band aid is cheap, it applies to several situations, and it allows people to continue on for a long period of time. Therefore the bandaid provides excellent RoI. (Talking about actual bandaids there, though I would not want to put a literal band aid on one of my machines. I'd use tape.)

We want to make the machine look visually appealing to the location and to customers.

The workmanship for cleaning around food areas should leave the product safe for our customers to consume.

RoI is king. Think cost effective, and practical. We want to avoid having to acquire several specialty tools, but we also want to make refurbishing quick and painless. Assume all people involved have ratchet sets/screw drivers/ability to purchase cleaners in small amounts, and paint.

When suggesting a product, try to be specific suggesting where it can be acquired, how much it costs, and what acceptable alternatives would be. If you feel one particular form has a significant advantage, explaining that advantage would strengthen the guide. For instance: What kind of paint should we use? Is Spray paint good enough? I could disassemble the machines, lay down a tarp (which I currently do not own), and just spray all the pieces I wanted done. In the event of paint, if you also have information such as how long it takes to dry, please feel free to include that.

Your pictures are welcome also, as long as you understand hundreds of people may view the contents of the final "guide", if you want a picture omitted, please say so.

All right, lets get down to exposing the information of of refurbation. (I'm astoned that's a word, but mozilla likes it)

Hey first of all congratulations on a really good deal! Second this is a great idea for a thread. The center rod rust can be ground with a wire wheel brush or maybe even brushed with steel wool. As far as repainting and the rust on the stands I'd sandblast or get a handheld angle grinder with a wire brush attachment and go to town. I took some pictures of the last batch I sandblasted. I'm going to do a full line machine this weekend. I'll take some more and put them all up.

Sounds great Kai. I've got a wikipedia open on sandblasting to learn about it tonight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandblasting

For anyone else in here learning. What is a hand held angle grinder with a wire brush attachment? (pictures maybe, with estimates on cost and where you would get one) I've noticed that the old machines had metal in the candy brush housing, virtually everything is metal, and they were flooded for a long time--apparently while in the basement during the flood of 2008.

As far as I can tell everything is functional, but considering the septic water that may have been sitting in them, rusting them, it will be hard to get them up to my standards for holding food.

What is a hand held angle grinder with a wire brush attachment? (pictures maybe, with estimates on cost and where you would get one)

sears has a good selection of tools, as do lowe's and home depot.  you can even get them off of amazon.  harbor freight sells a lot of inexpensive tools, of varying quality (sometimes questionable quality).  i've had mixed results with HF; some of their stuff is fine, some of it completely sucks.  like anything, you get what you pay for.  all of the above mentioned sell online, and all but amazon have storefronts you can go to to check them out in person before buying.

your better names are gonna be makita, dewalt, craftsman (sears brand), ryobi, black & decker, milwaukee.  any of those will be good tools.  pretty much anyone who makes power tools makes angle grinders.  you can also get pneumatic angle grinders, but that's overkill for a gumball machine.

here's a few pics...

angle grinder:

Posted Image

wire brush attachments:

Posted Image 

now that i re-read the main topic, for refinishing gumball machines, an angle grinder might be too big.  you might be better off with a drill; the wire brushes should fit in the chuck.  for more detailed work and smaller nooks and crannies, a dremel tool would be great, though your sandblasting cabinet should be able to take care of those spots.

- chris

I find to get the best finish, (I have not done this with machines but with computer cases, you don't remove rust from plastic,lol) knock off the big chunks of paint with a chemical stripper and just a hand wire brush. then start with a course grit sand paper, and work your way from course to fine grit until you have a fairly smooth surface.

Great ideas in here. Thanks for the pictures to. I may swing by the store and look at the products first hand, check prices, and make plans to visit the local garage sales looking for some power tools.

These angles grinders are a very handy little tool. I would avoid the harbor freight power tool section. I have bought misc. things there but a lot of junk from China with really inferior quality. Also as far as getting in smaller tight spaces the air angle grinders are much smaller and work great if you have an air compressor. I also use a Dremel power tool with flexible shaft and very small little attachments that get in tiny spaces.

The big angle grinders are great for cutting off bolts. The ATM's always had to be anchored to the floor. I used a hammer drill to drill holes down into the concrete and then pounded special ATM anchors in each corner. Each one designed to hold like 10,000 lbs of pressure and you have one in each corner to prevent someone from being able to yank it out. Sometimes pull the bumber off their truck before the bolts would break. Alot of fun doing installs and if you ever had to remove the machine it would leave these big bolts sticking up out of the floor several inches high. So had to carry one of these angle cutters to cut those bolts off and try not to distroy their floor. Those big bolts might not break very easy but boy one of these angle cutters would cut a bolt into really fast and easy.

One of the key things to remember in using any of these tools like the grinders with cut off wheels or wire brushes is to always wear safey glasses! The grinding and cut off wheels can break sending pieces flying into you! Sparks and pieces of metal, paint, etc. can come flying and hit you right in the face.

nam

To some degree I've avoided using power tools for the business because I have no health insurance. I may make some use of smaller power tools in cleaning, but to a great extent will use elbow grease over electricity. On the upside, it has helped me stay in shape :)

Long term, power tools are clearly the solution because my limiting factor will be time rather than money. Short term, knowledge and ability are my most limited factors. Within 6-8 months, I'm hoping money is the limiting factor (though I'm expecting sales around 700$/month by then), and I'll be growing quickly. If I land a full time job, time will be the limited factor, and the use of locators and power tools will become more important.

A year from now I see myself having a small but growing arsenal of tools, and being very adept at refurbishing machines. I see working with old machines as a large part of my future in vending, because I love getting the cheap prices on used equipment.

Lets key in on one of the issues. Cleaning the plastic windows. How do you get rid of tape/stickers that have been baked on through several years? This will be a frequent theme for many people who buy used machines. It comes up with different answers in the forum searches. What are the best products--and why is that product superior? If one product is heads and shoulders above the rest, where should someone go to buy it? How much should they expect to pay? Does it require wearing gloves, should it only be used outside? I LOVE learning.

Edit agian:

For anyone following this wanting additional reading on the topic of removing stickers:

http://www.vendiscuss.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=1547&forum_id=1&highlight=removing+stickers

http://www.vendiscuss.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=996&forum_id=1&highlight=removing+stickers

This one isn't really related, but is good recommended reading:

http://www.vendiscuss.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=533&forum_id=1&highlight=removing+stickers

The most recommended products there are goo gone and WD40. I will of course report my own experiences.

That's really not too expensive... have you had any experience ordering replacements for the oak vistas? (With 4 plastic pieces instead of 1, it should be much cheaper)

I tried WD40 last night, and it worked out okay. Between that and some finger nail work I managed to take off any areas that had bumps. The rest is just going to remain I think, and I'll put that front on a toy machine instead of a candy machine.

Great advice Luke. Easy POTD vote, this will be a solid walk through for refurbishing my machines. I especially appreciate the list of materials at the start so I can make my shopping list before I have these machines laying in pieces :)

Luke,

lurtsman is right on your post being a POTD. I'd gave you a POTD too and would give you 2 POTD's if I could. Excellent detail to show someone that hasn't done it just what to do refurbing a machine. Thanks for taking your time to make that post.

nam

I'm loving vending. I've got a huge list of things to accomplish today, more than half are at least vending related, and it feels great. I think having a job that is neither fulfilling nor high paying has given me a greater appreciation for running my own business. I am SO excited to do the refurbishing on these machines now that the steps are becoming clear. I'll probably read that POTD several times to commit it to memory.

How would you handle a rack stand that is heavily rusted? Can I use sandpaper on that to get the rust off, same as the center rod? It would appear at first look that these rack stands were originally chromed. I'll try to get up pictures tonight or tomorrow. Glad to have you watching the thread shvend.

lurtsman,

Yeah you can use sandpaper on it to get what rust off you can. After you get off what you can wash it good and paint it using the primer and a gloss black spray paint.

Sounds good.

Where should I go to get primer and spray paint? (I'm aware this is a relatively stupid question, however my biggest challenge to completing tasks is not understanding some small section of it. Once I get confused I stop making head way, so even the stupid questions I'll ask)

I've got a walmart superstore and a Lowes near here. There is a menards and possibly a home depot about 15-20 miles away.

Bought a bag of steel wool squares, a 320 grain sand paper block, and a can of spray paint. I should be ready to tackle some stands tomorrow.

Also, the machines I thought were oak vistas are actually some kind of eagle. I decided that was not going to be a big problem for me because eagle still made good machines. One of the new ones had a crack in the back though--these packages went through some challenges--despite the boxes having been unopened, they did sit in a basement and the bottom of the machines (still sealed in card board) had mold on them for me to clean off.

Goal is to have 2 sets of machines ready this week. If I over achieve I may get 3. Over all the new machines are ready to place except for needing the stands redone and needing product. (Air vending is very tricky) I wanted to try doing a bronze for the stands, I thought it would look slick with my shiny black machines. (And the paint was half price) 8.89 after tax. Got some ice cream to, but that's not included in the price :)

Well looks like you found the spray paint before I was able to get back to you, sorry about that. Oh yeah hope you enjoy your icecream we don't need to forget the small things!