Guide to refurbishing machines (with PICTURES)

lurtsman

No not really, all I really do is scratch the old paint up a little and try my best to smooth the worst spots up a little. Yeah I may have some spots here and there but I move them around on the stand until I am able to get them in the back or to a non visible side.

Chris

It is a great idea to make sure you have a nice slick finish on your machines but be careful with how much paint you start placing on machines. You will start running into problems with parts fitting back in place and coming apart when the time comes.

What happens you start getting paint built up in the joints of the machines and you have a hard time with things operating right. One spot you really have to watch is the grooves were your thank you flaps sit. If they get filled with paint the flap will not go up and down smoothly. It will stick and stay up or go down and is really diffcult to get back up.

Not saying it will happen every time but it can and will happen one of these days.

I hear you on these points, Luke.  :)  On the NW machines I have, the candy flaps sit inside the candy chutes, so I don't think there will be a problem from the paint being too thick, but I can understand it being a problem w/ other machines where the flaps are mounted directly on the mouth of the machine.  Obviously, you don't want the paint to be 3 inches thick, but a couple coats usually isn't a problem.  I generally test fit things after painting and make minor adjustments for moving parts if necessary.  I do like a nice, smooth finish.  :)

And BTW, those are some great-looking machines you've got there.  Very nice work.  :cool:

Those look great. I don't have a shop like that, just a garage, but that's my goal.

Today I picked up a hand truck, and some wood to run along the base to extend it to the sides. I'll use this to carry my 4ways into their locations.

I'm having a hard time focusing with so many vending related things on my plate. These new machines going out, a 10 way rack, changing out heads and product @ my 7 way, and refurbishing the very old machines. Learning to juggle all these things will be part of becoming a very successful vendor.

Good 2 know.

I have a spiral notebook where I write down my things to accomplish for the day. When I get them done my wife calls me "accomplish-a-bear". I find it rewarding to have personal jokes for success, since it's the people we share our success with that gives it so much meaning.

I use Brasso to clean and shine coin mechs, chute flaps and chrome stands/lids.  If there is light to moderate rust on these pieces, I rub fine steel on these parts before using Brasso.  You can get Brasso at Home Depot for about $3 - $4.

• 1 month later...

I thought I bring this topic back up. I was informed that all the pics were lost with the software changeover. I have "re-added" the pics for you guys.

Please let me know if you find any other posts with missing pics.

I'll need to pick up some Brasso to try.

I now have almost all of the machines out collecting money, even the very dirty almost free ones.

Unfortunately the cost of having product on hand keeps me from growing as quickly. I will need to order several bags of blockheadz and sea/zoo mania, as these are my best selling products.