Locator Woes

alyssamma

It is amazing to me how polarized people are over these two locators. For me personally Midwest has been great and Kickstart was not. And I don't just mean in quality of locations - communication, smart business-sense, quality of locations, speed - all of these Midwest won hands down.

Some people - Tired is a good example :) hate Kickstart even more than I do.

But then I just saw a post today (from Jax I think) about how horrible Midwest was. To be honest, I couldn't believe he was dealing with the same company I dealt with.

And others posted in reply to Tired's post about Kickstart that they loved Rob and would use him again.

So...que pasa? How can we have such different experiences?

I tried asking this before here: http://www.vendiscuss.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=4493&forum_id=6

I guess I'm asking again because I didn't like the answers I got :) I'm hoping I'm explaining my question better this time.

A lot of the posts in the other thread talked about how vendors have unrealistic expectations - but that wouldn't explain why MW works for some vendors and not for others and vice-versa for KS.

So...thoughts?

Kevin

I think it all depends on where you live.  Big city = plenty of locations.  And, how many other vendors are in your vicinity.  Also, MW primarily gets you into corporate break rooms, if you don't have lots of big box stores etc, maybe they can't do as well.  KS usually gets the smaller stores, hotels, pizza places, chinese, etc.  Just my experience with both of them so far. 

Kevin,

You didn't like the answers you got ? Well, sorry 'bout that but they are what they are based on experience.It does seem that MW puts replacement locations on the back burner-this from MY experience.I've never dealt with KS.Only been waiting since February for three replacements.I'm almost ready to give up on all locators.

Islander, I didn't like the answers because they didn't answer my question :)

I didn't want to compare MW vs. KS or what vendors expect.

My question is how Vendor A can have a positive MW experience while Vendor B has a negative one. And then Vendor B has a positive KS experience while Vendor A has a negative one.

Cavity's answer is pretty good and that probably has a lot to do with it...

Kevin

I would have to say it has alot to do with midwest getting alot of the corp. break rooms and KS gets small places, I have delt with both, I did not have a good experence with KS but Midwest was alot better, although they also mised on many locations, the ones they get are home runs, like a Jc penny break room $50 a month and a Lowes Break room $50 a month, makes things alot eaiser to take when they miss.

GR...that is actually my experience too. For example, MW is horrible w/replacements. However, because they have gotten me other good locations, it makes it easier to wait.

I order my locations in batches of 10. Usually 5 are great and 5 suck. If I ordered 1 or 2 at a time, then it would be hard to take the bad ones and terrible waiting for a replacement.

I think you've hit upon another piece to the puzzle. If you only order a few machines at a time, then it will be "random" if you get good or bad locs. If you order 2 from MW and 2 from KS and KS gives you good ones you'll like them but not like MW. Or, vice-versa.

I WILL MAKE IT VERY CLEAR THIS TIME...Don't hire KS, he will only give you the run around...If he couldn't guarantee the locations why post that under his policy he could and would take care you! By the time you factor in all the emails and calls to KS you could have placed 2 machines on your own! If these locators want repeat business and referrals they should show some appreciation to your business. If you can't take the heat, don't step in the Kitchen, friend! Chef Ramsay!

We love KickStart!

Kevin, This polarizing effect with different vendors and locators is an interesting phenomenon. I am not sure any one can give a 100% logical explanation. All I can say it there are many variables that can determine the outcome. Here are some factors (variables) I have run across and is not an inclusive list. But it always takes two to tango.

1. The personality of the locator and vendor.

2. The ethics of the locator and vendor.

3. The experience level of the locator (plus staff) and vendor.

4. The expectations of the locator and vendor.

5. The financial situation of the locator and vendor.

6. The time table of the locator and vendor.

7. The connection (or relationship) between the locator and vendor.

8. The level of trust between the locator and vendor.

9. The flexibility of the locator and vendor.

10. The saturation level of vending machines in the vendor's market.

11. Special conditions by the vendor (such as wanting only pizza parlors or everything within a 5 mile radius).

12. The professionalism of the vendor and locator.

13. The like (respect) or dislike (disrespect)the vendor and locator have for each other.

14. The sales pitch of the locator.

15. The competency of the locator and vendor. As Ron White says, "You can't fix stupid(ity)".

16. The manner in which the vendor reports a problem to the locator. Any excessive whining, cursing, over bearing attitudes, etc. (i.e. acting like a jerk!) that can turn off the locator and thus make the vendor a low priority.

17. The current workload and backlog of the locator.

I could go on I guess! But there are many variables and factors in every locating job and they will vary from job to job. So you should expect different results I suppose.

Each location order has risk. It is not like ordering a dozen roses. Murphy's Law always applies here.

Jax

It is one of vending's great mysteries. I have used both with good and bad results from each one. Both have got me decent locations and both have had to do replacements. Midwest has taken the longest to get a replacement for me but Kickstart is also having trouble with two for me right now. The last Midwest replacement one looks to be needing a relocation again so the wait will start again.

I think the economy might be part to blame on these locating problems. Many places have closed or are considering it and don't need any other headaches. So a shrinking market is driving up saturation. For my recent Kickstart deal I gave Rob 3 more zipcodes to work with so he could maybe locate it in other areas faster but having 6 zipcodes is not helping any it seems.

In the end there are really 3 locators to use.

Midwest - Good and bad results, hated and loved by many.

Kickstart - Good and bad results, loved and hated by many.

Yourself - YMMV

Yep......I am VERY disappointed at what has happened since January 5th to me and my order of 10 doubles, 3 racks, 10 Shootin' Hoops, and 3 triples with Midwest. Last year at this time I was riding a pink cloud with them week after week etc. This year? The only thing I am riding is my bike on the boardwalk here in the evenings, my truck when I am servicing a route,  and my T Bird on a sunny day. They have been a total disaster for me. I have hesitated to say any of this. But........enough is enough already. I have been very very patient with Midwest. I am ready to call for a full refund.

And the part that really kills me is they have such a large area I have allowed them to cover and find locations for.  Oh well.........

Yourself - YMMV

Agreed!  If you think MW and KS are bad, then try some of those other clowns that advertise on the Vending Connection Yellow Pages.  Things can go from bad to worse very quickly with locators!  Remember, trust no one in vending and trust locators even less!  Case in point, remember the locator that had 3 aliases on this forum with a shill member to promote him?  Pretty low.

Also, remember that this is a numbers game.  So if you order 10 and 7 are good enough to keep, then you are still ahead of the game.  Sometimes the 1 or 2 really great spots pay for all 10 and in a way "make up" for the bad ones that may or may not ever get replaced.  So many times you are much better off than you were 4 months ago even though the order is not completed.  I once had a locator get me 2 really great spots that did $400 per month combined while the other 8 did only $40 per month combined.  I paid $300 for all 10.  So I still look at that as a positive.  Building a route is a tough grind-it-out process and very time consuming.   Be happy when you get a few good spots since they are always hard to find. 

And you also mentioned Yourself.  You know, some of the best spots I have are the ones I got myself.  Even though I HATE sales, the sales cycle process and even most sales reps.  I realize it's a necessary evil.  I just have to pump myself up to do it so that I have my "A-game" when I call on the sites.  So if a computer geek like me with a Spock-like personality can locate, well then so can most of you as well!

Live Long and Prosper! 

Jax - Need to see that new Star Trek flick!

Yourself - YMMV

Agreed!  If you think MW and KS are bad, then try some of those other clowns that advertise on the Vending Connection Yellow Pages.  Things can go from bad to worse very quickly with locators!  Remember, trust no one in vending and trust locators even less!  Case in point, remember the locator that had 3 aliases on this forum with a shill member to promote him?  Pretty low.

Also, remember that this is a numbers game.  So if you order 10 and 7 are good enough to keep, then you are still ahead of the game.  Sometimes the 1 or 2 really great spots pay for all 10 and in a way "make up" for the bad ones that may or may not ever get replaced.  So many times you are much better off than you were 4 months ago even though the order is not completed.  I once had a locator get me 2 really great spots that did $400 per month combined while the other 8 did only $40 per month combined.  I paid $300 for all 10.  So I still look at that as a positive.  Building a route is a tough grind-it-out process and very time consuming.   Be happy when you get a few good spots since they are always hard to find. 

And you also mentioned Yourself.  You know, some of the best spots I have are the ones I got myself.  Even though I HATE sales, the sales cycle process and even most sales reps.  I realize it's a necessary evil.  I just have to pump myself up to do it so that I have my "A-game" when I call on the sites.  So if a computer geek like me with a Spock-like personality can locate, well then so can most of you as well!

Live Long and Prosper! 

Jax - Need to see that new Star Trek flick!

LOL I think it's great that my local competition is you Jax. It scares me sometimes I hope this city is big enough for the both of us.  ;)

How old are you? Ever drop by Cool Stuff Games for board games?

When I worked as a locator I wasn't paid in advance or even when I got the location. I was paid after the machines were installed!

Depending on the machines I gave a 30 to 90 day guarantee of income. If equipment had to be picked up I had to replace it first before I'd be paid on another deal. If I didn't have it relocated, the amount I had been paid was taken immediately from my commission due. I didn't have the luxury of waiting to find replacements because I wasn't going to receive another commission on new locations until it was replaced or subtracted from what I was owed. If I had made a lousy choice for a location the machines wouldn't have been installed in the first place and I would not have been paid.

Dealing with a long distance locator doesn't give you any control over them. Not much anyway. It is also difficult for a long distance locator to get quality locations consistantly because they are for the most part working blind. Exception being the big box stores where they already know what it is. A zip code doesn't tell you if the location is clean or looks like their ready to go out of business. It's obvious you guys are not happy with the results except part of the time. If you pay $50 for a location but half of them are no good you're really paying a $100 per location.

Save your money and learn to locate yourself. If you can't do it then you're just stuck with all the problems we're reading about here forever.

nam