Triple Play Melted Skittles

Cobb1015

Hoping to get some insight here after reading from an archived thread. Have a triple play that got moved to a non-climate controlled location between checks. Needless to say, the VA summer was unkind to the Skittles and they melted. I have gotten the bulk of the machine emptied and cleaned out. I've seen recommendations for soaking or spraying. My concern is the coin wheels getting damaged from exposure to that much water. I this even an issue for concern? If so, what steps can i take to avoid further damage?

Ive bought many used machines that were just full of melted candy. I would soak them in the shower, then wash with dish soap and then either use a blow dryer or if I didn't have one try to leave out in the bright sun for a day or so. Just get it dry, shouldnt be a problem. 

On 9/5/2023 at 2:50 PM, Cobb1015 said:

Hoping to get some insight here after reading from an archived thread. Have a triple play that got moved to a non-climate controlled location between checks. Needless to say, the VA summer was unkind to the Skittles and they melted. I have gotten the bulk of the machine emptied and cleaned out. I've seen recommendations for soaking or spraying. My concern is the coin wheels getting damaged from exposure to that much water. I this even an issue for concern? If so, what steps can i take to avoid further damage?

To really get it clean you need to take the machine apart. At the very least remove the product dividers, the front plexiglass and the product wheels and clean all individually. This way you can clean out the hoppers completely. It will also facilitate smooth vending going forward by removing sticking stuff binding up the product wheel from underneath on the hopper floor, not to mention it is just more hygienic.  It is really not that hard to remove the 3 hopper tray if you want to really get the thing nice and clean. You can remove the coin mechs without removing the 3 hopper tray  if you are worried about getting them wet but it is tight as heck getting them out and back in. I have always avoided getting water on the mechs but some shouldn't hurt them. When cleaning, the only thing I use is extremely hot tap water. It will remove all of the melted gunk completely then wipe it dry. If you feel compelled to use soap then use Dawn.....just make sure you rinse everything thoroughly so there is no soapy aftertaste on the product.

• Like 1